Which one of these is the best MBP SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamjackson, Jun 11, 2009.

1. adamjackson macrumors 6502a

I pulled up this page on NewEgg and I'm curious which one of these is the best, fastest and most reliable SSD.

http://tinyurl.com/mu2ege

I bought a MBP from apple w/ SSD and experienced a couple of issues with it so I'd rather buy aftermarket SSD from now on.

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I think the Corsair one is probably the best choice? At least I have read nothing but good things about it. It's a Samsung drive. I'm about to pull the trigger on it but I keep wavering between this one and the cheaper but slower and smaller 128GB Corsair SSD.

Man just dunno what to do!

Ruahrc

3. almostinsane macrumors regular

Only buy Intel or OCZ Vertex drives. The rest are crap.

4. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I thought the Vertex drives had the crummy JMicron controllers? Intel doesn't make a 256SSD and the Corsair drive actually outruns the Intel in about as many areas as it is behind.

Ruahrc

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The OCZ Vertex uses a new controller not from JMicron. The Intel is by far the best at random reads and writes. The Vertex is close on random reads, slower on random writes. The Corsair is a rebadged Samsung. Slower on random access but fast on sequential. My take:

Corsair: Best value, solid drive.
    Vertex: Better performance than Corsair but not as good for random writes as Intel.
    Intel: Best performance for everyday operation (boot drive) random read and write king but limited capacity (160GB max currently) and higher price per GB.