Which one of these options would you choose!?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pemberton, Jul 6, 2010.

1. pemberton macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm an interactive designer and have a pretty sweet deal lined up. My client is going to be purchasing me one of the three computer setups. I need your help in determining which would be best. I work primarily in motion graphics (after effects, c4d, etc.) graphic design (photoshop, illustrator, etc.) and other technical aspects.

Here's the choices:

OPTION 1
    Souped-up Mac Mini
    2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    120GB Solid State HD
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics

or

OPTION 2
    Stock Quad-Core Mac Pro
    One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor
    3GB (three 1GB) memory
    640GB hard drive
    18x double-layer SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB

or

OPTION 3
    iMac 27-inch
    2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics with 512MB

Any feedback would be great. Thanks dudes.

2. macusersince5 macrumors member

macusersince5

personally, I would stay away from the mini. Not a pro computer and not as good with AE than the imac or mac pro. The quad core mac pro really isn't worth the price compared the imac and you get the screen with it. thats just my personal opinion.

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Is there a monitor you can supplement with the Pro? If not, head for the iMac.

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

If there is no huge need for additional upgrades and storage later I'd go with the iMac.

5. pemberton thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Is there any reason to NOT get the Mac Mini? I'll have a monitor to supplement with all of these machines. I'd like room to upgrade if I need to add additional HDD and RAM in the years to come. What are your thoughts about the old version of the Mac Pro and that it hasn't been updated in a while? They must be coming out with a new one soon I would think... but even so, does it matter?

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

Either of the other 2 options will run circles around the Mini for .. just about anything. That Mini is great for a lot of things but the architecture is in the stone ages compared to an i7 variant.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The mini will be much slower compared to either of the other two options. Personally I would say go iMac. The 3GB ram that the Pro would come with would be a pretty decent hindrance, I don't even know why they sell it with so little. The iMac also has a faster processor and a built in screen so you would be ready to go out of box. Overall, it just makes the most sense.

8. Durious macrumors 6502

If you plan to put in additional $ into the machine afterwards I'd go with the Mac Pro (i.e. for GPU \ Ram \ Additional HDD's). However I think the iMac you listed is likely the best choice.

Also I'd remove the mac mini as it's not really an option as it does not meet any of the needs you posted at an adequate level especially in comparison to the other two devices.

Good luck!!

9. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Option 3. The 1 TB Drive and i7 will keep you current for awhile.

10. wisty macrumors regular

Unless price if a big factor, the i7 iMac looks a lot better than the Mini. And if price is such a factor, why are you even considering a Mac Pro?? The Mini has half the cores, and it's maybe 30% slower on single threads (though it's hard to compare across architectures). The iMac and MacPro will be much faster on photo/video processing, especially as software gets better at using 4 cores.

The MacPro will be slower than the iMac, but you can upgrade the HDD and Memory a lot more. It will also be more expensive, unless you are doing something crazy like ordering Apple RAM upgrades. Third party RAM is cheaper.

The MacPro will last you longer, but if it's expensive (and the world economy aint great today) it might be better to get a quick-fix iMac for now.

11. donw35 macrumors regular

donw35

Mac Pro, in regards to the line up.

oh, and Hi everyone.