Which one should I buy (Macbook Air or Ipad)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mojer, May 30, 2011.

1. Mojer, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

Mojer macrumors member

I do not own any Apple products other than an Ipod. My Dell Laptop is on it's way out and in need of replacing. I am either going to replace it with another PC (HP probably) or a Macbook Pro. I am leaning towards the HP due to the fact that I do want to spend a lot of cash on a new laptop. I do lots of MS Office, various documents, some photos and internet surfing on my laptop. However I need something to supplement some of the "lighter" things that I do with my laptop which also needs to be portable. These would include web surfing in bed, replying to a few emails, and internet and limited document creation and review. I would like something with a quick startup which can easily be carried from my house to the Wifi enabled coffee shop, ect. This is the reason I have come to the conclusion that the Macbook Air or Ipad will be what I am looking for. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would suggest a refurb iPad 1 wifi for your needs. Air is overkill since you already have a laptop. Good thing is if you don't like the iPad you could sell it for a small loss and try something else.

3. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Remember that an iPad isn't really the best option as your "only" computer - you'll need a machine that you can use to sync and backup your apps.

At the same time, you also don't want to have an Air as a primary machine either - lack of optical drive, not terribly expandable (RAM, HDD, etc.)

If you're even considering the price of an Air, I would recommend a 13.3" MBP. More powerful, slightly bigger screen than either the smaller Air or iPad, more powerful processor for the money, and upgradeable.

Also, the MBP will allow you to run Office for Mac (which the Air could do, but definitely not the iPad..you'd at least need Pages in that case.)

4. karohan macrumors 6502

I don't think he was planning on using the iPad/Macbook Air as his primary machine anyway (if I'm reading his post correctly).

I would go with the iPad because you definitely don't need the Macbook Air. The iPad would be more convenient, considering you're going to have another computer for more intensive tasks.

5. sn0wman72 macrumors member

You do say which MPA you are considering, likely the 11" To my way of thinking the MBA is basically a laptop so it would be redundant as you have a PC based laptop.

In short iPad. I would certainly consider the first generation refurb. Very portable...you might consider the 3g ver as WiFi is not always around

6. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

It seems like he didn't have another computer, since he said:

I would still suggest the MBP is the more comprehensive option at a good price:

The 11" Air is $999, versus the 13" for $1299
    The 13" MBP starts at $1199

The iPad, as mentioned, isn't really meant to be the only (or really even "primary") computer, which does start at $499, but definitely has limitations based on programs he needs, such as Office (as I said, Pages is one option that's Word-compatible, but I have it myself, and I wouldn't use it for major projects...)

Once that Dell is gone, what he's purchasing now *will* be his primary computer, as I understood the original post.

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Re-read his post again, he says he is going to replace that DELL regardless, and wants a second machine -
    - "supplement" - ie secondary machine, and he's considering either an iPad or MBA, thats why everyone is recommending an iPad because the OP is already getting either a HP or MBP as well as the iPad. ergo iPad makes sense as he will always have a laptop (either HP or MBP) to sync it too, and he wants a secondary machine.

8. Mojer thread starter macrumors member

Yes, you are correct. Sorry if my post was confusing. I am going to get some type of laptop (whether it be a PC based or MBP). I am only inquiring as to what I should get as a secondary device - MBA or iPad? My concerns are portability and something that boots on very quickly. I have specified my uses in the original post.....thanks!

9. alfmil, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  10. Mojer thread starter macrumors member

Decisions, decisions.....thanks. Sounds like the majority of people (so far) think that I should go with the ipad. Maybe something to sleep on.

11. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Macbook air is product for the super rich, no optical drive not very upgradable.. I use an iMac for photoshop and I can appreciate the durability and power. But for simple world processing, I would stick to a cheap pc netbook or a iPad..