Which One Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wvuwhat, Nov 30, 2012.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'm considering the high end 21" and the low end 27". I'm typing this on my early 09' iMac 24" 2.66. I was waiting to get a Retina display, but the new form factor has me intrigued and ready to buy.

I have 1st and 3rd Gen iPads, 2 iPhone 5's, Roku, PS3, Xbox, and 3 Apple TV's on the network. Not sure this matters?

The iMac serves as my main computer, about 6 months ago it started slowing up, slowing up a WHOLE lot... I keep iTune's, Twitter, Mail, iPhoto, Safari (usually, there are about 5-7 tabs open), etc. etc. open AT ALL TIMES. I do some minor CS4 work (family usually asks me to take photo's with my DSLR when we have an event and send them to them. I shoot RAW, touch up and send to them).

I know it comes down to budget, but do you really think that the extra 5.5" and a different graphic card justifies the extra 300 dollars? Especially, since the last I heard you could stream your desktop through your Apple TV and this Mac will be in a room that has a 60" HDTV?

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I heard that the streaming is somewhat blurry- It probably wouldn't be good for normal computer use. Keep in mind that, though 5.5" might seem small, it isn't, as the screen is measured diagonally, so there is actually a very large difference between the two sizes. As for whether you should upgrade, that's entirely your decision, and I rarely upgrade (typing this on a G3), but it sounds like it's getting too slow for you. I would get the 27" if you were to upgrade.

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

From a budget standpoint, the fully loaded 21.5" iMac is the best. It has a geekbench score of over 12000 and with the fusion drive, it will pretty much scream! You probably won't need another upgrade for at least 3 years.