which one should i get? macbook pro or macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bkarabel, Nov 20, 2007.

  1. bkarabel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    #1
    Hi guys,
    I have a core duo macbook pro ( 2.16 ghz 100gb 256vram 15'4 ) which i am selling on ebay right now ( 1 day left on the auction) before the apple warranty expires. I am going to buy a new mac but i don't know which one should i get. I also have a apple cinema display 20'' so if i want to do something on the big screen i can always use it as a desktop with the acd. I am leaning towards the black macbook and max the ram from owc . What do you guys think? I am thinking about this like 7 days now and it is really bugging me that i can't decide.
    Do you think the black macbook will perform like the macbook pro that i have in terms of usage. I use aperture, safari,i do a lot of apple tv stuff ( ripping and converting)
    I really need some help
    Cheers
     
  2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

    Osarkon

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Location:
    Wales
    #2
    Well why sell the macbook pro? By the sounds of it it can do everything you need it to. :confused:

    You can always extend the warranty.


    Apart from that, if you're using aperture, I think the macbook pro is the best bet for that. Although for most other jobs the macbook would be fine.
     
  3. JFreak macrumors 68040

    JFreak

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    Location:
    Tampere, Finland
    #3
    I think black macbook is overkill, because if the base model doesn't cut it for you then you'd IMO better buy the base model pro version. Not that much more expensive to buy but has way better resale value!
     
  4. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Location:
    The Netherlands - Utrecht
    #4
    comming from a G4 powerbook i switched over to a c2d maxed out white macbook but i've given it to my gf and bought a new macbook pro, i just couldn't get used to
    smaller screen
    and more limited system
     
  5. admiraldennis macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2002
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #5
    Why are you selling your MacBook Pro?

    A MacBook would definitely be an overall 'downgrade'.
     
  6. bkarabel thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    #6
    Thanks for your replies...

    Still up and still thinking lol...

    There is nothing wrong with my macbook pro. I wanted to get a ''faster" (c2d) maybe a bit larger hard drive ( 160 on the black mb and 120 on the base mbp )
    They also come with the new "n" airport cards.

    They may run a bit cooler than core duos.

    Instead of buying the applecare warranty ( 349 from apple or 245 from LA computers) i thought i could use that towards a new machine.

    But right know i don't even know what to do. If i am going to keep my mbp, i have to do 2 things.

    1) I have to end the auction before the 12hr limit ( right now it is at $ 890 and like 23 hrs left)
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

    2) Buy apple care before december 1
     
  7. admiraldennis macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2002
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #7
    Unless you play games, this seems like a waste of money to me.

    The different in CPU won't be all *that* significant, and a new hard drive can just be swapped in. If you really need 802.11n support, you can also swap in a newer AirPort chip.
     
  8. macanudo macrumors regular

    macanudo

    Joined:
    May 9, 2006
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #8
    My vote is to keep your MBP. If there is nothing wrong with your current machine, a MB would be a definite downgrade. You can always get an external drive to complement your internal HD.
     

Share This Page