Which one should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikalh78, Jun 17, 2013.

1. mikalh78 macrumors regular

So I'm looking on Apple's refurb site and I'm stuck on which MacBook Pro to buy:

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina Display

OR

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display

I'll be working in Illustrator and Photoshop and I can always hook it up to a monitor if needed. My main concern is the RAM as they are only 8GB for both.

My budget can accommodate both but I'd be happy if I can save cash wherever I can.

2. pnyc macrumors 6502

I'd get the 15 inch, the larger screen size is better for the kind of work you mention, yes you can always use an external display but maybe you won't have to do it as often where with the 13 inch you'd have no choice.

The graphics and video capabilities, the 13 inch features a Intel HD Graphics 4000 integrated graphics only, which I think sucks, the 15 inch comes with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory, much better in my opinion.

I'm a little confused when you say "My main concern is the RAM as they are only 8GB for both" if that's your main concern I guess it does not matter which one you choose since both of your choices come with the same amount of memory, right? If RAM is that important to your work then maybe you should be looking at something else then these two choices?

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Decide what your priorities are. Do you want portability or a larger screen? For me, portability was more important and the retina 13" was a big enough screen for my photo editing. If you don't value portability than get the 15".

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. 15 sounds like a better fit but personal preference also plays a role in this.

If they're the same then there's no point fretting over it. They're the same so it doesn't matter which you choose as far as that particular point is concerned. If you need more then upgrade.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Remember Retina MacBook Pros cannot have their memory upgraded after you buy it. It's a CTO option only.

6. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

It depends on how harder you want to work. If your tasks imply very big photos and use of multiple filters and image layers, then the 15 is the right choice. If you prefer a smaller thing, 13 is best. I used to think that the difference in weight between 13 and 15 is unnoticeable, then took a flight and saw that the form factor of the 13 is perfect for standing on the front table in the plane, whilst my neighbour with a 15 was in difficulty moving and working.

7. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

If you have a friend who works at the Apple campus in Cupertino, the current quarterly discount is on the 13" Retina, 2.5GHz i5, 512GB, only $1419.