Which one? Speck/techShell/inCase/InvisibleShield

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rdoane, Jan 25, 2009.

1. rdoane macrumors newbie

Currently I am using a sleeve to transport my Macbook Pro (early 2008), however I am getting tired of taking it in and out all the time. However, after much research I am still undecided on which route to go.

Here is a comparison from what I've learned through multiple sources:

Speck - Many people have reported that it can cause extensive damage to the case. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of using the case if it is just going to damage the laptop anyway?

techShell - Some people have said that it dramatically raised the temperature of their laptop due to the fact that it does not have any slots for air flow. Seems pointless to protect the outside of the laptop while you decrease the life of the components inside due to heat. However, I am running smcFanControl. For those with techShell cases, have you found that you can neutralize the effects of the extra heat with increase fan speed?

inCase - Will not allow the screen to go back much more than 90 degrees. This is a huge problem to me and the only reason I haven't purchased one yet. I am constantly using my screen at 90 degrees or more.

Invisible Shield - Seems that the installation is a huge pain, and knowing my luck, I would mess it up bad. I am one of those people who if it isn't perfect, I will never be happy with it, so a semi-correct installation would just irritate me until I took it off.

If any of these assumptions are wrong and you have (or have had) any of these products please share your experience. Thanks in advance.

2. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Have only heard good things about the incase. Not sure that the angle is 90 degrees but it does seem to restrict the screen a little..

3. tecknical macrumors regular

i think you can file down the incase case to allow the screen to bend back as far as possible

4. rdoane thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dixc4eyV2o

Is that about how far your screen opens?

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I use the tech shells, i have one for the mbp and my macbook. There a pain to take off but they protect it from some major scratches

6. rdoane thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you notice a drastic increase in heat when you put it on?

7. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

No

I have the rubberized tech shell (recommend it over the regular non rubberized). I have no issues with heat . The reason I got the techshell over speck or incase is because speck and incase has openings on the bottom via slits or holes that allow dirt to get in and scratch the heck out of your aluminum case due to the dirt rubbing against the case that's supposed to protect it. You can google it, if you don't believe me.

8. ib4walrus macrumors regular

I have the Incase and it is absolutely fantastic; barely adds any thickness, no scratches, nice feel to it, and looks good to boot!
    Here's a picture of how far it will bend to help with your decision (diregard my incredibly messy desk :eek:)

Attached Files:

9. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I've been using Speck case for 8 months, not a single scratch. You just gotta be careful.

10. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Nope, but if i do any video editing i will open the lid just so the air can get over the keyboard.

It stays closed most of the time.

11. DJ567 macrumors regular

If you're just looking to protect from scratches. and will otherwise not be knocking it around i would suggest a gelaskin available on ebay and places although i just bought direct from their US site.

i've bought hard cases before for my old white and black macbooks but i found them restrictive and bulky, even the thin 1s and its easier to use a sleeve and pull it in and out, when travelling.

12. rdoane thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anybody else have an experience or suggestions?

13. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I suggest that if you buy a case, do not abuse it. The cases will protect your MacBook Pro from hard scratches and some minimal hits but not to the point that just because you have a case you can abuse your MacBook pro by throwing it or squeeze/punch the plastic case. There is no such thing of a indistructable case.

14. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I say that you go with an inCase hard shell if you can find them anymore. I did research on hard cases after slight scratching my MBP (also early/mid 2008) within my first week of owning it (was showing it off to some friends and placed it on metal surface. Black paint from said surface got on bottom of MBP case and won't come off).

After freaking out and trying every non-abrasive cleaner in the apartment, I went by the Apple store to have a Genius take a look at the scratches and to see what they had for hard cases. The genius recommended a hard case over a sleeve when I told him my normal uses (MBP used "out and about" [classes and labs, coffee shops, train, etc.]). They had inCase and Speck hard cases, so I used the instore Macs to do a bit of research. Most of the stuff i read said inCase was the better choice as they are made out of better material then the Speck's (rubber-ish material vs regular hard placstic) and are less prone to scratch the MBP itself when dirt eventually gets in-between the MBP and case. I can say this is true as most students at my college use Speck cases for their MBP and I saw many a scratched MBP when I used to work in the IT office.

Choice is yours, but I say go with inCase. I like the feel of the case. I also like how the material its made out of makes it easier to hold (say walking from work area to professor's desk in programing lab) and less likely to slide around your work area.

PS I have not had any major heat related issues with my hard cover. As long as the surface is flat and sturdy (read: not resting on bed sheets or pillow) the MBP remains just as cool as it was without it.

PSS Almost forgot: inCase offers a 1 year warranty on the case in case of damage (I assume normal wear and tear only). I am not sure if Speck has a similar warranty, so this might not be a plus.

15. rdoane thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your responses. I went with a frost colored inCase.

16. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

No problem. Funny though, if it wasn't for the black marks on the bottom of my MBP (and me being OCD about them), I was going to get that one. Mind posting a pic? Want to see what I am missing ;)

17. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I use an black incase on mine and it works great. I did file down the back so it can open extra wide, and no dust has got inside the case at all since i put it on. I prefer it over speck b/c i havnt heard good things about it, that and i think the spec looks cheap, and i think incase has a different plastic that doesnt crack like the speck.

18. rdoane thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think you could take a picture of where you filed down the back of the case? I'd like to see how much I might have to take off.

19. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

There are no inCase hard shell for the unibody MacBook Pro.

20. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

go incase

21. afan macrumors newbie

I got a DSI Hard Shell Rubber case for only $18.99 shipped. I also ordered a speck at the same time to compare (shipping cost almost as much as the dsi case did). I like the dsi better because it has more cut outs for venting than the speck and I like the rubber casing better too. With the clear plastic I would always be worrying about it getting all scratched up, kind of defeating the purpose. Also the DSI doesn't interfere at all with the screens range like the speck and others.

You can look at them here (the guy is super nice and ships quick, unlike speck I paid $17 for rushed delivery and it took them 4 days before they even sent it to ups for delivery.)
    http://stores.shop.ebay.com/DSI-GEA...043QQ_sidZ58419094QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

22. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

I got the Black Incase and it gives it a great look and feel for my mbp. My screen can actually tilt more than 90 degrees but it does restrict it a little, it wont be as smooth as it was before the case... but its doable. Its a great case. :D