Which one to buy Black MB 2.16 OR White SR-MB 2.2 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphoneifan, Nov 20, 2007.

1. iphoneifan macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have been reading every day the mac forums, there is a lot information in here.

I would like to ask you some advice. I am a windows user, but wish to make a switch to mac, for that, i have a budget of US $1,300.

I checked out some web sites looking for a MACBOOK to buy.

I found this prices:

http://www.ecomelectronics.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=2088
    MACBOOK 2.16 Black
    At $1,299.95, NO TAX, FREE GROUND SHIPPING.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB062LL...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1195568322&sr=8-2
    MACBOOK SR 2.2 White.
    At $$1,299.99, NO TAX, FREE GROUND SHIPPING.

I have to make a decision of one of this notebooks in order to buy it.

With the MB 2.16 Black i get the 160 HD and the black color, Tiger and a free Upgrade to Leopard.
    With the SR-MB 2.2 White i get the 800Mhz bus, 2.2Ghz, and Leopard installed but not Tiger.

Later i will upgrade the RAM to 2Gb or 4Gb.

Regarding the White one, i am afraid to have discoulored issues after one year of use.
    Is the plastic material of the SR-MB white better than the MB 2.16 Black??
    Which one is cooler?

I will use this computer to surf the web, check email, hack my iphone ;-), web programming, and unix hacks... and some really light video and picture editing.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. koshper macrumors member

I know how you feel, i'm choosing between a 2.16 refurb at £700 or 2.2 sr new at £830.

a lot of people have mentioned the screen quality of the new models, does this mean the older ones were much better?

and some have said the animations of things such as stacks and time machine has been jerky, is this leopard or issues with the sr such as new graphics chip.

I'd go for a white mac myself, there's no harm in giving it a quick wipe once a month and it's not as if i'd use it with muddy hands or anything. for the difference in cost between relative models the black is not justified.

the difiicult thing is the models have changed at the same time as the OS so you never know whether problems are model related or OS related.

Cybergypsy are you happy with the colour on your screen with that new colour profile?

4. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

As much as I loath white Mac laptops, I'd go for it, get the max cpu you can, and then update the memory at a later date.

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

The newer model will obviously be better, but I'd save for a bit longer, and then get the Black MacBook you want, but a newer version of it.

I'm really happy with my Black MB (older 667MHz bus). Wouldn't go back to white unless I really had to.

7. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

I remember when the SR MacBooks came out, I felt a little sad (could have waited a few weeks) but when I think about it, would I really notice the extra 40Mhz (above the 2.16Ghz) and 133Mhz extra for the fsb given the very limited work I do? highly unlikely :p

8. iphoneifan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks guys for your advices, i have a question, regarding the white macbook, did u have a bad experience with it??

Cheers

9. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

1) Not as cool looking as black :p

2) White is a a 'mark magnet' :D

10. Billy Bob macrumors regular

Anyone who pays considerably more for a black mac book that will only show finger prints and scratches even more needs their head examined.

11. Towhead macrumors regular

I think the white one looks better than you think it will. I bought the white one sight unseen, all worried about how it'd look and then it came (SR 2.2) and I'm chuffed.

You want the 4GB storage SR. Keyboard is different, fn keys remapped with little pixtures, runs cooler, updated case, etc.

The black is OK, I saw it in the store didn't like it that much.

12. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Just got mine today and it works great! go for it

13. BossHogg macrumors member

BossHogg

White here as well...no problems. Also, in my opinion, screen res is great - DVD's, WOW, home videos, etc. look sharp and clear. I'd suggest you hit an Apple Store and check it out for yourself. Good luck ! :)

14. ivan1234 macrumors regular

I think the white macbook is the smarter choice.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree. Hopefully it won't take you too much longer to save the difference. However, if you need one now, then just get the white one. Either way you will get a great computer.

16. iphoneifan thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys, thanks for replying.

Another question:

Regarding the last issues posting here about the SR MACBOOK, do you think it is better to get a refurbished macbook?
    I mean the refurbished macbook is already tested, fixed and so on, but nobody knows which problems you will be facing with a new ONE.

If i get a new macbook and it gets problems, i have to send it back to USA in order to request the warranty because i live outside US. But the "probabilities" to get a "perfect" macbook are more in the refurbished macbook, is that right?

Regards,

17. goranius macrumors newbie

Definitely get white SR, but that's just me, I happen to like the white macs and the faster processors:)
    I'm just kidding. The difference in processor speed in minimal, but you will get better onboard graphics and a higher max. RAM capabilities with the SR Macbook.