Which one to get: 15" MBP i5 or 17" MBP C2D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kinezu, Jun 30, 2010.

1. kinezu macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

i'm a newbie here but i have a really big question for you.

I'm presented with an offer for 2 Macbook Pro's:

The first one is
    2010 Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 i5
    Glossy Display with standard resolution
    320GB HDD
    Used for 1 month but in perfect condition / as new
    Price: 1050E

The second one is
    2009 Macbook Pro 17" 2.80 C2D
    Glossy High Resolution display
    500GB HDD
    Brand new in a sealed box
    Price: 1250E

The 17" is 200E more expensive than the 15" i5. My preferences are: high resolution, portable, capable and "future proof", good battery and to be able to run some of the newer games under bootcamp.

I'm leaning towards the 17" model but the price on the 15" is one heck of a deal.

What do you guys recommend?

2. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Hi res - 17 wins
    portability - 15
    capable - 15 (according to TONS of reports the i5 is 25% faster than the 2.8c2d, AND it future proofs your rig, for a while at least
    battery - probably a push between the two

Of course this all depends on what you're going to be doing, BUT the i5 will be, no doubt, faster than the 17 inch machine.

So I'd go with the i5

3. kinezu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply. Do you think it is possible to replace the glossy display on the 15" with the higher resolution one at a later date at an Apple Store?

4. Littlefields macrumors newbie

I think the first thing you have to consider is whether size or performance is more important to you. If you anticipate using your Macbook Pro on the go a lot, then obviously the 15" wins, you can then go from there regarding the specs. If size doesn't matter and you care more about performance, then go with the 17" and choose from the configurations.

5. kr4yzi3 macrumors newbie

I used to consider this one too. And I turned out to choose the Core i5 over the C2D 17". It is more powerful, more portable, better battery life.

Gaming, "future proof" -> not so sure about the future proof but my MBP right now can be put into good used for at least 4 years more.

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

No. You have to get it AT PURCHASE via a Custom-to-Order unit which will be shipped to you.

7. myke323 macrumors regular

Neither.

You should just buy a brand new i5 or i7 with the exact specs that you want.

Why settle just to save a few bucks? You are spending a lot regardless, so spend a bit more and get exactly what you want.

Then you will be happy, so it's worth it.