Which one to get - 6s, 7 or 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 147798, Sep 19, 2017.

1. 147798, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

147798 Suspended

I have an iPhone 6, and it's never quite been right since day 1. It could be iOS, it could be the hardware. Not sure. It occasionally locks up (especially the phone app itself, which 15% of the time just won't start), tends to run very slow, and the camera is just terrible. I have to reboot more than I had to with my iPhone 5.

I am not going to get a X, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade.

My corded ear buds just died, so I need new ones anyway -- that could mean the bluetooth BUT this is a phone I use for business. the Audio HAS to work!

Should I get an iPhone 6s, which is a processor upgrade (important for newer iOS releases), and maybe will cure some of the 6 hiccups I've been having, and keeps me with corded headset, which is a known audio quality level, or

Should I get a 7 or even an 8 and try the BT headset.

If the BT headset isn't up for top quality audio, then I suppose I'll stick with the 6s, as I have no interest in an octopus of dongles (there are many times when I need to both talk and charge at the same time).

edit: doing some research, and the iPhone 7 seems to have some hardware related issues on audio quality: https://discussions.apple.com/message/30679862?start=480&tstart=0 Doesn't seem to be consistent though, so maybe a bad batch of components somewhere.

2. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

If your choice is between 6s, 7, or 8. Get the best, the 8. You want your tech to last as long as possible unless you plan to upgrade every year. If I were not considering the X, that is what I would get.

3. Miketsi99 macrumors newbie

I would go with the 7 if you can live on 32gb, or if you need 64gb just go for the 8. 6s I would just get used at this point if you really want to save some coin.

4. Patrick3949 Suspended

5. AJsAWiz, Sep 19, 2017

AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Just looking for an appropriate place to stick this.
    Sorry ,but I removed the images and placed them in the proper thread.
    If you'd like to see them head on over to this forum thread:
    "iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone x"

6. bufffilm, Sep 19, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If you like the headphone jack, there's only 1 choice to make.

I like the headphone jack. Yeah...I really do.

The 6s has everything noteworthy Apple has released to date - TouchIDv2, 3D Touch, 4.7" display, etc.

It's can be used one-handed, it's got a decent FFC for selfies/FaceTime...it costs $550 for the 128gb model...what more do you need?

You can pay more, but what does that really get you?

7. jahowe macrumors newbie

jahowe

8. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

"Best" is a subjective term, you need to find what is best for you. Personally I like buying the newest technology as its supported the longest.

9. jahowe macrumors newbie

jahowe

The 7 series is waterproof. I want to get a plus size and am considering the 7+ over the 6s+ for that reason to replace my 6. Thoughts?

10. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Hell, I use the 6s Plus and would consider getting the 8 Plus.

11. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Just know that even though the ip7+ is rated ip67...Apple doesn't warranty it if it gets water-damaged.

12. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

I have a 6. I recommend going for the 8 since it seems that you are like myself and keep phones for a while. If you want to save more money go for the 7 or SE, skip the 6S.

13. KGB7, Sep 19, 2017

KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

The issue I have with wireless headphones, is that it's another thing I have to charge at end the of the day. Yes, wireless is more convenient, but I can't find a small set I like, except for Bose Q series over the ear headphones, which are too large to carry out of the house.

If you need a phone for work, buy one that will make your job easier and make you more productive.

Would iPhone X make you more successful and make you more money? I doubt it. Get the 6S or the 6S Plus.

14. Patrick3949 Suspended

I think it make no sense buy older 6. Better pay more

15. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

If you plan to keep your phone for a while, then I'd go with the 8. If you just want it to carry over for a year, then the 6s would be fine.

16. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

In terms of speed bumps, the biggest is certainly from the 6 to the 6S. The 7 and 8 are certainly faster than the 6S, but less so than the 6S is compared to the 6 - if that makes sense.

That said, I'd still go with an 8 unless you require a headphone jack.

17. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

I plan to keep my 6s for at least another year. Its been a solid phone for my use. I really want an SE2 if Apple sees fit to give us another SE..but if I had to choose between a 6s 7 or 8 I'd likely buy the 8 for obvious reasons. You can save money with the 6s or SE but I'm not sure how either will do beyond ios 11.

I know the 8 doesnt come with a headphone jack but if you want ease of use for bluetooth, the Airpods are really nice. Just put them in your ears and they connect automatically, take one out and they pause. I've had mine about a month now and they have yet to go dead on me. Just put them back in the case when you aren't using them. I charge the case at night.

Anyway best of luck whatever you choose.

18. 0007776 Suspended

I wouldn't go below the 7 because of the waterproofing. Between the 7 and 8 I think it depends on how long you want to keep it and how much you want to spend now. If you just were underwhelmed with this year's offerings and trunk you will upgrade again next year then go for the 7. If you want it to last as long as possible go for the 8.

19. Impatientmac macrumors regular

I just got the 8 and am slightly disappointed but mainly because of ios 11. I really hope it gets ironed out soon because well I'm not looking to go back to my 6. If you've already updated to ios 11 on your device I would say upgrading would be a smart move. The 8 has a great build quality and feels great in the hand even though the design is the same. The weight and glass back make a difference. The front-facing camera is a huge upgrade too. I just wish Apple would get its stuff together with their software. I'd wait a week or two because it doesn't seem like the 8 will be hard to get

20. 147798 thread starter Suspended

I'm thinking now I'll stretch the 6 for another year, and jump to the X once it hits refurb, and all the kinks get ironed out, sometime in the spring