Which one too choose?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by L33TpandaBAKA, May 28, 2007.

1. L33TpandaBAKA macrumors newbie

Well, I've finally made an account on this wonderful site! :)
    For the past few months I've been looking around for a computer for school/play~
    Mum's told me that by christmas i'll have the mac i've been desiring..
    But, i have to choose between two.
    I know that WWDC is in a week or two, but just to wrap my head around the subject...
    I'm not sure Which to buy, either the iMac or the Macbook.
    Out of the two, i'd get the 2.16gHz white macbook or the 17inch iMac (1.83gHz)
    So, that means there are really no differences other then the HD space and the screen size (i'm sure there are a few more, too).
    Now, if i was to choose the MacBook.. it would probably come with me around the house and every.. 2-3 weeks maybe to school, but nothing major.
    That's why i was thinking about the iMac, since i could live with not having a notebook.
    My main questions being...
    Do you think the MacBook can replace a main computer? Since, this PC will still be here, but i'm sure it won't be working to well in the coming years.. and also the screen size of the macbook.
    Do you think a 13.3" screen is big enough for sitting infront of for 5-10~ hours at a time? (with breaks, of course) :D

Anyway, too sum it up..
    Do you think the macbook is good enough for replacing a main computer, or should i go for the iMac?

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The two systems are fairly comparable. The iMac even uses a lot of the same laptop parts that the Macbook does. So it's up to you. Whether you want a portable or a desktop. The iMac has bigger screen sizes and better graphics and what not. But he MacBook is small, and portable with about the same amount of speed.

I myself prefer the desktop, but also love the portability. So I have my main desktop and a laptop that basically mirrors my one at home.

3. L33TpandaBAKA thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem with that is that i could never afford both XD!
    Anyway, I'm not sure if i want the macbook for the portability so then i can hook up an external monitor.. or the iMac because it's just easier?
    I'll have to wait to see what's unveiled at WWDC =3
    Thanks, anyway!:apple:

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Since this will be a Christmas present, see what things are like next October. There will certainly be new releases before the holidays. In the meantime, learn about Macs, if you are new to them, and try to settle the portable / desktop question. As you go about life, ask yourself if you would really like to have your computer with you here, or whether dragging it around would be a nuisance.

It is fun to play this game (we never tire of it here) but too much will likely change before Christmas. Best wishes.

5. L33TpandaBAKA thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, thanks for inputing that.
    I'm one of those people who -even though they KNOW they will go for a different product because there are better ones out- i have to check every.single.day~
    But yeah.. i guess i could lay off that :D
    Thanks for the advice, also... Maybe by this time i will know if i need one or the other~
    Thankyou and you too~:apple:

6. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Do what I'm doing and wait for the new iMac release to make your decision.
    The new iMac might make your mind up for you!

If the iMac doesn't turn out to be very impressive, I'm going to wait for a Macbook with X3000; if the rumoured case design appears, I'll buy one as soon as possible!

7. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Should get interesting in next few months--updated imacs, mbpros very soon and mbs by fall. Also consider refurb or used with applecare since should be much available after new stuff releases. If Mum doesn't have a home mac, that might favor the imac since she'll love it and you can get somthing new for yourself w/in a year later if you want. Macs are addictive.

8. L33TpandaBAKA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that :D
    At least i have someone to sit it out with :D

9. L33TpandaBAKA thread starter macrumors newbie

very true.. apart from the fact of that mum will get addicted.. Since, she won't be using it.. *she has her main PC computer for herself*
    I've been saving, she's just putting in the last few hundred:p

10. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Macbook with an external would be better. I have both a Macbook and iMac and once you upgrade the RAM it's the same speed as the iMac.

11. L33TpandaBAKA thread starter macrumors newbie

So, you're saying go for the macbook with 2.16gHz and 2GB of ram?
    Do you think i would be able to get around on 1GB?
    If not, should i just go to a reseller and do it myself (like crucial)?

12. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Yes, do it yourself.

I noticed a very large difference between 1 and 2GB of RAM and if it's going to be your main computer you want it as smooth as possible.

13. furious macrumors 65816

furious

The MacBook screen is perfect in every way but vertical height. It is a pain to try and do heavy spreadsheet work on. anymore than 30 lines down means you are constantly scrolling. Not fun. And is quite a bit slower. So if you need to do heavy spreadsheeting get the imac. :p

14. L33TpandaBAKA thread starter macrumors newbie

15. L33TpandaBAKA thread starter macrumors newbie

well, saying i've never done a spreadsheet before.. i don't think it's needed :D