Which one? Used Canon GL1 or Used Sony TRV900?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, May 1, 2007.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I've been researching both and they almost seem identical in terms of features. It seems the used sony's go for slightly cheaper in most cases. I like the size of the Sony too. Which one would you choose?

2. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Can't comment on the Canon, but have experience with the Sonys.

Have sent at least 3 of these models back to Sony for repair because of the built-in mics going bad over time. See problem mentioned in below thread:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/archive/index.php/t-16178.html

One repair lasted only a year, then went bad again. Repairs are not necessarily cheap. I've given up on these. Usually we use external mics anyway, but it is ridiculously limiting to have this problem -- what if you just want to grab a few shots outside, and you forget about this problem?

Apparently these mics had problems from the get-go, would deteriorate to the point where audio levels were very low or nonexistent.

If you go with one of these camcorders, at least always use headphones to monitor your sound (if using the built-in mic). Not a bad idea anyway (if possible), no matter which camcorder you use.

Good luck!

3. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks! that's really helpful...i like to limit problems so I'll probably just do the canon....it's a hassle to send things in for repairs

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Never used the sony but i've used the Canon. Nice camera. The few times i captured footage into FCP it worked fine.

5. bkvideography macrumors member

I would guess canon's lenses will help give you a much clearer image.

6. Rasheem macrumors regular

I have never used the canon but i love the sony.

7. Biker21098 macrumors member

I own a Canon GL-1 from way back when. its been a great camera. The heads died recently, but I shot 100's of hours on the darn thing and always used it as my tape deck as well. Love the camera, very durable, and a image.

I'd recommend a GL-2 as it has a far superior image, even better than the XL-1s. And better color, sound control, and other such things. But can't go wring with the old canons. Good luck!

8. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I tried a TRV900 but it was horrible in low light. Nice picture when you had lights or daylight. I did not keep it. I went with a GL2 and rebate. I saw where the GL1 had about the same low light troubles. The TRV 900 is quite old also and mine had some quality issues. I found it on Ebay and the seller was quite understanding. If at all possible go with the GL2 or even look at the VX 2000 series. Where I work those are still used and are spoken of quite well. I have not tried any of them. I really like my GL2.

9. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

If only I could afford one of those...I cant afford the GL1 at the moment, but the GL2 is out of the question even for the future. It's diff when you get married.;)