Which one will be cheaper

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by John1989, Aug 24, 2010.

1. John1989 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, could you give me some advice.

I'm currently a student in the US and planning to get an unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple Online Store Canada.

I have a friend who lives in Canada, so is it cheaper to order it from Apple Online Store Canada and ship it to my friend's address in Canada and have him ship it to me in US or get it from ebay for USD 1000++.

Thanks in advance =)

2. draz macrumors 6502a

It would be cheaper to have your friend get it and ship it to you.
    The final price including taxes in CAD is about $740... So just over $700 USD when exchange rates are done.

Shipping even at the next business day before lunch option is not $300 USD so... If your friend doesn't mind doing this for you, go for it! Could save you quite a bit.

3. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

4. draz macrumors 6502a

None of which would bring the final cost to $1000... The guys that sell these on auction sites are making well over $200 per sale.

5. John1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

so if i get the 32GB which is C$779 will still be lesser than USD 1000? How much is the tax? coze my friend says 20% (not sure).

draz: how much is the shipping cost from Canada to US?

6. draz macrumors 6502a

Taxes depend on location: Refer to table here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_Canada

I'll estimate around $880 CAD (with 13% tax) or $830 USD. Shipping varies a lot depending on what method is used, and your location, but even so it wouldn't cost $170 to ship :p

7. John1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks

i was wondering whether Apple Online Store Canada accepts debit card? coze in the Payment, it requests for "Credit Card Number" or i just key in my debit card number in it?

8. draz macrumors 6502a

You have to use a credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Amex etc..), and I believe it has to be a Canadian Credit Card when ordering online, but not totally sure on that one.

I know you can pay for it in store with a US Credit Card without any probs.

So maybe in your case you might have to bite the extra charges or find a way to get your Canadian friend some cash (*hint* Paypal)

9. mufadal84 macrumors member

If you are living in the US, why dont you buy it from here from the apple store without commitment?

Wont that just be cheaper? If you have Visa, then im sure the apple store in US would accept it.

10. John1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple in US sells unlocked iPhone 4?

Isn't it all iPhone 4 in the US are locked with AT&T?