Which one would you buy in my position?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yyttr2, Oct 24, 2013.

1. yyttr2 macrumors newbie

I have a budget of $2100 for a macbook and I can't seem to choose between these two configuations:
    13in:
    • 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    • 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    • $2059.00
    15in:
    • 2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
    • 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    • $2079.00

The flash storage on the 15in will be short but I figure it is expandable later with an external hard drive. I carry my computer everywhere, so portability is definantly a cause for concern. I do not however like to wait, speed and multitasking are important to me. I like the size of the 13in and if I could get the processor of the 15in in the 13in would rather have the 13in. I'm a computer science major, that being said I spend most of my free time on my computer and I don't want to make the wrong choice since i've been saving for a while. So i'm stuck, want the size of a 13" macbook pro (even better in size and weight is the macbook air!) but the power of a 15" macbook. What would you do in my position?

2. pepos macrumors newbie

3. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

13" is the way to go... IMHO you will notice no difference in performance unless you are doing processor intensive tasks and the dual core processor acts as quad core since it has 4 threads (the quad in the 15" acts like an octo). I would also prefer the size, portability, weight and the larger hard drive. I went for 128GB in my MBA and would really like to spec it up if I could. Multitasking will not be a problem on either machine and the only reason why the 15" would be better would be for the discreet graphics card.

The 13" will be more than enough... I consider myself a power user, often having Aperture, FCP and Photoshop open and I can edit photos whilst a rendering is in process which I find amazing. So yours should be just find on the power side.

4. Fnen macrumors newbie

15in:
    • 2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
    • 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    • $2079.00

Can someone tell me if i can upgrade the RAM in this model ? By myself

5. blake2 macrumors member

blake2

Nope... soldered on.

6. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

15 in. Just as thin, but bigger more pretty screen to look at. Its quad core too.

7. rMBP2013 macrumors member

Definitely 13".

Based on your needs, you won't see any difference in performance between the 13" and 15".

Moreover, with the 512 GB SSD, you will see a difference in performance as compared to 256 GB. I need to see more tests on how much of a difference are we talking about here.