Which One Would You Choose

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by paperhats, Apr 16, 2014.

1. paperhats macrumors newbie

I wanted to get your opinion on something. New user here and I know some of you might dismiss this as a "troll" post with this being my first post and what not, but I am genuinely curious.

A job that offers a salary of 160k> with a max growth of to maybe 260k

or

Would you try to get a job at a start up or somewhere similar (a corporation perhaps) and try to work your way up to the top (or at least offers a large room of growth).

You're trading in a stable job for a chance of making a lot of money.

2. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I think I would take the stable job with the (nice) stable income, then maybe work/create on my own on the side.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Speaking from experience, there's no joy to be had from chasing money. You have to love the job. No amount of money will overcome a job you don't like.

You probably don't believe me. I didn't either, until I experienced it.

4. paperhats thread starter macrumors newbie

I totally understand what you're saying. In this situation though, staying in the stable job might be the latter. Its hard to pass up a steady income for the risk of making big money but again, it would be exciting and the pay off would be greater.

At the same time, losing something stable would never be good. Mostly if both options are lost later on.

Im still young so hopefully one will truly sing to me.

I just wish I had some kind of great idea to do a start up or something. But I feel like people with that kind of creative brain and then make it are one in a dozen.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I think if you have to come here for such advice, you should stay at your current job.

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

Even though I'm young and should be more likely to take risks, I'd probably take the steady money. Especially in that situation where it's more than enough to live comfortably in most areas.

7. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

I don't know whether your question was hypothetical or not, but i agree with Tomorrow's post. All things being equal, choose happiness over money. If you have debt and/or other obligations, you may need to put happiness in the back seat for a while if it doesn't align with your goals. As far coming up with some great idea, keep an open mind and something might come to you. It might be 180 degrees away from anything you expect of yourself, so keep an open mind.

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I hear ya, bro. "Choose a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life." Some old, old, old Chinese dude said that.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A fervent amen to both posts.

Professionally, there is no greater pleasure than to be able to say that you love your job; I have worked in situations where there was a spring in my step going to work, where the work was challenging, intellectually fulfilling and interesting, colleagues supportive, and the atmosphere congenial. In such circumstances, money is almost an irrelevance; as long as the bills were paid, and books and CDs, and decent meals out and theatre could be afforded, it didn't much matter, whereas professional satisfaction did. Actually, in my teaching days, I willingly took salary cuts to work with people I liked and respected.

So, while professionally there are few greater rewards than to enjoy your job, I can say (because I have also experienced the other), professionally, there is no greater hell on earth than to work in a job you hate. Money is no substitute for motivation, interest, engagement, and professional fulfilment; and money is no substitute to have to endure a ghastly working environment.

Obviously, the ideal outcome is one where you are well paid for doing work that you like. But I would argue that it is more important to find the work you like, first, and then try to make that something you can make a decent living from.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd not look at which job pays the most, but rather which one you'll enjoy the most. Chasing after the money will only give you stress and not provide any happiness.

If start up provides an exciting opportunity, then go for it. Otherwise choose the stable position

11. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Never been one to chase money. So long as I like what I do and what I make gets the bills paid I am happy. A little extra to fix up the house, take a nice vacation every couple years, and be able to save some is enough for me.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm with the security of the first choice. I've wrestled with a similar choice for years. I'm in an industry that will eventually be replaced by technology. Each year, I consider going off to start something on my own. Then I come back to reality.

One of my best friends, tired of working for others decided to open his own business. He works harder and more hours than ever before. Money-wise there have been years he has done great, there also have been years where things were very tight. In those times, he's told me he wishes he'd stayed on the career path of corporate America.

Keep in mind that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, but it still has to be mowed.

13. puma1552 macrumors 601

A quarter million isn't big money? It's more than I'll ever see in my lifetime as an engineer. I'll be lucky to hit $160k at retirement, but doubtful.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Dude, if you don't think you'll earn a quarter million in your life as an engineer you're either very bad at math (especially for an engineer) or you don't plan on living more than a few years.

15. puma1552 macrumors 601

Annual salary? Not a chance in hell.

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That makes more sense, but it isn't what you said; it looked to me like you were talking about lifetime earnings, not annual earnings:

17. puma1552 macrumors 601

I see where you're coming from, but it should be obvious a quarter million in earnings comes after just a few years; plus the OP was talking about annual salary.

18. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Edited for better accuracy, though still highly optimistic :D