Which one would you choose

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iPilot, Aug 25, 2007.

1. iPilot macrumors newbie

After spending hours reviewing posts and reviews on hard drives, I've decided to go with OWC's Mercury Elite Al Pro series 500GB. The Firewire 400 / USB 2.0 model comes with the WD Caviar SE16 drive, while the Firewire 400 / 800 / USB comes with the Seagate Barracuda. From what I have found, the WD has received better reviews, but I want it with the FW 800.

I could build my own combination and save $12, in doing so I would be giving up a better warranty, software, and the FW 400 cable, so I would prefer to buy it already completed.

Should I build it myself and miss out on a few items and the warranty, or forego the FW 800?

2. iPilot thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, since no one apparently has any input on this, let me pose a different question: if the external drive is only going to be used as a backup, I'm thinking speed (FW 400 vs 800) really doesn't matter. Would that be a correct statement?

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

firewire 800 won't be that much faster but you can daisy chain additional hd's. i would go with a fw 800 drive and just pay a few dollar more.

my 2 cents

btw, i heard only good things about seagate and sometimes bad things about WD. my guess is it's a wash.