Which one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vampireszombies, Dec 14, 2011.

1. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

Which set do you think would fit my needs better?
    I mainly use internet browsing, office, photo editing, downloading videos and homework.

Both of these are about the same price range from different online stores:

13" Feb 2011 4GB 320GB i5 2.3GHz
    + 8GB RAM(installed) + Applecare for $378 more
    = approx. $1,400

&

15" Feb 2011 4GB 500GB i7 2.0GHz w/no applecare or added RAM.
    =approx. $1,450

Would the extra RAM and Applecare make the smaller MBP wiser to get?
    I have a 15" laptop now and I'm sorta worried about the 13" being my main computer but I think I'll be ok with one of these.

2. sweetbrat, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

A couple things... Make sure you do a lot of price checking. You can purchase RAM yourself. 8GB will cost you $30-$50, depending on where you get it and if it's on sale at the time. Applecare for a 13" MBP is $249 off the Apple website. You can get it cheaper if you're a student, and there's a few places online that have good prices (B&H has it for $190 right now). If you purchase the same 13" i5 from Apple's refurb store, it would be:
    $929 MBP
    $190 Applecare
    $50 RAM
    $1169 total, plus tax, blah blah blah.

Personally, I like to have Applecare, especially for a notebook computer. I like knowing that if anything happens, it's covered. The RAM depends on your personal situation. It's cheap, so a lot of people would say to just go for it. But a lot of people won't need anything over 4GB. It depends on what you're running on it and how you're using it. My guess is that for you, unless you're doing MAJOR photo editing with huge files and having tons of programs open at once, you probably won't need 8GB.

3. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

You've made some good points, Thanks I'll go do some more price checking! :D