Which one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamthedudeman, Jul 6, 2012.

1. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

I have a Apple business account and can get good deals on parts and machines.

I can get a 2012 CMBP 15 for $1650 no tax. A Apple SSD 512GB(Samsung OEM PM830 Apple branded) for $375 no tax. 16GB memory I can buy myself as their prices are not that great. I would probably pay the extra money and buy crucial which I also have a business account with and can get it for $140.

Out the door I can get a 2012 CMBP with 512 SSD and 16Gb ram for $2165.

Or I can repurchase a RMBP base with 8gb ram and 256 SSD for $2143 out the door no tax. Not a bargain since they only have limited amounts but will not sell out anytime soon. I purchased one already and returned it because of the lack of third party support, and it was not optimized with the apps my business uses currently. It will get that support in time but when you run a business you really cannot wait.

I currently have a late 2011 2.2 base with 256 SSD and 16gb ram. The $375 for the 2012 512GB SSD is a really good price. Do I go with the bigger SSD which apple sells for $1000 in the CMBP or go with the retina with 256 SSD which is half the size.

They have the base retina and thats it. In stock. The upgraded model is a 4 to 6 week wait. They are reserving those for the consumer market.

Size and weight of the RMBP is a non issue, 1/4 inch or 6mm and 0.9lbs or less than a pound less than the CMBP isn't a big enough difference in the decison of which I purchase. Good for marketing though. Basically it boils down to do you want a higher spec machine internally, more SSD space and Ram or better screen which has weak third party support and half the SSD space and Ram and is a little lighter and thinner.

I am leaning toward the CMBP. The RMBP I already got rid of it because of the non-third party support but that screen is beautiful. There being in stock is now getting to me. But that SSD for $375 is a good deal. The CMBP screen is not bad, quite good, but cannot compare to retina. I can always purchase later.

:confused:

2. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

Yeah, you got a 2011. Why do you need to upgrade now? This time next year, the retina models will be more commonplace and have updated apps. Pluss SSDs wil be cheaper too. Why the rush if there isn't anything wrong with your '11 MBP? Surely you could invest that money into something else for the business?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have the 2011 MBP, you're not going to see much of a performance gain, maybe something in the neighborhood of 15%. Perhaps the Retina model is justified because of the large improvement in the screen. Personally, if I had the 2011 model, I'd skip this one.

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

Well the RMBP is useless to you since you need to run custom apps that aren't and may not see retina updates. Why would you even consider it besides just giving in to the notion that you need the 'best'?

5. iamthedudeman thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I am considering it because of that damn screen. :)

But the reason for the want for the 2012 CMBP model is mainly for the USB 3.0. Would make transferring files on the go much quicker and save me time, and time is money when you own a business.

That is the main reason, the second the price of the 512 SSD. Last week Apple business had it for $600. They are having a deal or special on it for $375. When they get too much stock in they sell it wholesale. They will be gone soon at that price.

As for ram, I found a good deal here if anyone is interested. They seem to be rebranded crucial sticks. Same latency and voltage. I can get the crucial for $150, price went up last time I checked from $140.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yn-_-NA-_-NA&gclid=CMP89tmNhbECFcyb7QodZmJnvA