Which one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macdatadrive, Aug 1, 2012.

1. macdatadrive macrumors regular

Okay, so I know there are a MILLION of this threads, but I really what to know my exact preferences.
    So, although it's weird including the Air, I'm wondering would a rMBP, MBP or MBA be better for me?

Currently I have a 2009 white unibody Macbook. It's a 2.23Ghz C2D with 4GB of ram and the standard 250gb 5400rpm HDD.
    Although I like the computer, it was a hand me down and it quite dirty and has a nasty crack next to the ethernet port which Apple wil do nothing about, not to mention I've had to had the trackpad replaced about 3 times and have a new bezel due to cracks.

The MB is pretty quick, but I do find that when I play games, it's very slow, even on minimal settings.
    I don't play a lot of hardcore games, but the games I do play are like the Sims 3, Bastion, and you can definitely notice the lag.

I do use PSE 8, but that's just messing about. I also would like a larger HDD. 250 just seems too small for me.
    No video editing here.

Out of the three, which one would best suit my needs? I'd like the Retina, but if the MBP is what would suit me better then I would get a 15 inch as well. The Air would have to be 13 and I would buy a superdrive, but it will rarely be needed.

Thank you!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From sounds of it, your needs are such that you could get away with the 13" MBA or the 13" MBP. The 15" MBP (classic and retina) have the advantage of larger screen. If that's not one of your must haves, stick with the 13".

The 13" MBP has the advantage of a better screen, user upgradeable ram and storage. I'd say check both out and see which you like in person.

I have the 15" rMBP, its a great machine, but you mentioned that you want more then 250gb of storage and the price of the upper end rMBP is exorbitant and like the MBA, there's no user upgradeable components. The 15" cMBP is a great machine, you get a lot of power for your money, but lacks the retina display.

3. noteple macrumors 65816

I would get the 13" Air, compared to what you have now:
    The size and weight will shrink dramatically, very portable, a completely different experience.
    Processor speed and memory will shoot way up, more than adequate for your game play.
    All the benefits of a faster SSD drive and 512GB would be a nice bump
    Complete support for ML features like powernap.
    SuperDrive is a good purchase for burning or watching movies and would also be required for a rMBP
    You will save major coin over a retina MBP.

4. macdatadrive thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is that, I don't travel. Basically, at all.
    I know the previous poster was saying get a 13" but that at the moment just seems too small.
    The MBA is a really nice machine but it seems not right for me... my mum has one, but honestly, it just seems... I cannot believe I'm saying this, but too small. Since I reallly don't travel alot I'd love to have a fifteen inch. Any other ideas?

----------

IDK now. i might wait. If they bring out a Retina Macbook Air, I'd snap that up in an instant. They probably will, hopefully. What have you guys got?

5. noteple macrumors 65816

If you want a larger screen then a 13" just won't do.
    I enjoy the Air because when I do need a computer in the field it never gets in the way but it is still large enough to get the job done.

I too would love an Air version of the rMBP. However its already as small as they could get it and still keep enough CPU/gpu power for the quad pixel display and decent battery life.

If you don't plan on leaving the house with a computer my brother who works at home bought an iMac and uses his iPad for customer presentations and such.