Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayleywow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
UK
Hi Guys

I'm looking to buy a Mac Mini to replace my windows PC, but I don't know which one I should be aiming to get..

Any advice?

Thanks

Hayley

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Hi Guys

I'm looking to buy a Mac Mini to replace my windows PC, but I don't know which one I should be aiming to get..

Any advice?

Thanks

Hayley

Need more info from you on how you plan on using it. Photo or video editing, web browsing, etc.?

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Hi Guys

Any advice?

Thanks

Hayley

The 2.6Ghz Quad with 16GB RAM and a Fusion drive will cover everything you want to do. Just by coincidence, it will also cost you the most.

But I warn you, you will now get a whole bunch of forum members who do not own the 2.6Ghz telling you you don't need it :) Don't listen to them :rolleyes: It is sort of like someone driving a Toyota Prius telling you you do not need a Ferrari to get from A-Z. True, but hey... it is a lot more fun in a Ferrari and you get there so much quicker!

You can save a few dollars with getting your own RAM. I use two 8GB Corsair Vengeance chips (16GB total). It is very easy to install.

If you are adventurous you can also do your own hard drive install such as an SSD (instead of getting it from Apple). But if you are use to doing that on PCs, it is nothing like the install on a mini.

See the OWC website or iFixit if you want to see if that is your cup of tea.

hayleywow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
UK
Need more info from you on how you plan on using it. Photo or video editing, web browsing, etc.?

I will want to use it for Video Editing and Logic... mainly

Also probably run Windows either via BootCamp or VMware Fusion

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My recommendation is to go with the quad core as well. I think for memory 8 or 16gb will be fine. I'm not sure how memory intensive video editing is so I'll defer on the memory requirements but its better to have too much ram then too little.

hayleywow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
UK
The 2.6Ghz Quad with 16GB RAM and a Fusion drive will cover everything you want to do. Just by coincidence, it will also cost you the most.

But I warn you, you will now get a whole bunch of forum members who do not own the 2.6Ghz telling you you don't need it :) Don't listen to them :rolleyes: It is sort of like someone driving a Toyota Prius telling you you do not need a Ferrari to get from A-Z. True, but hey... it is a lot more fun in a Ferrari and you get there so much quicker!

You can save a few dollars with getting your own RAM. I use two 8GB Corsair Vengeance chips (16GB total). It is very easy to install.

If you are adventurous you can also do your own hard drive install such as an SSD (instead of getting it from Apple). But if you are use to doing that on PCs, it is nothing like the install on a mini.

See the OWC website or iFixit if you want to see if that is your cup of tea.

My recommendation is to go with the quad core as well. I think for memory 8 or 16gb will be fine. I'm not sure how memory intensive video editing is so I'll defer on the memory requirements but its better to have too much ram then too little.

Thanks Guys :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.