Which One:

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonegeek786, Jan 9, 2010.

1. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

I am a PC, but I want to go mac. I am not a student for college. I am a high school student. I don't do a lot of gaming, but I will ocasionally do some gaming. I am looking for speed. I even hope to have this laptop throughout college, but I am not sure. I will be buying a laptop soon. Do you think I should stay a pc and get windows 7 or go to mac.

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

If you're curious about OS...You can always bootcamp a mac to use win7 and vice versa.

3. ammusk macrumors regular

I would go for a Macbook if I were you. It will last you a long time.

4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

5. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Well judging from what you just said, I would wait a few months if you can to see what new MBP's come out and how they perform, those will certainly be more powerful and last you longer.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If you want sheer speed, go with something else. Performane is OK on the macbooks but if you want bonafied speed there are machines with quad core that will fit the bill better. If you want ease of use and OS X go with a macbook. Apple notebooks seem to last well if you take care of them but they are prone to their issues also. I've seen six year old 12" Powerbooks still on the prowl. Obviously no HD rendering or playing Crisis but they still work for basic tasks and Apps that don't need too much horsepower.

7. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

if you want speed get a mac book pro forget about windows it's obsolete,apple is the way to go, a mac laptop looks better and is more compact

8. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

9. Surely Guest

Surely

^^:rolleyes:

The 13" MBP would offer great portability for school.

If you want to be able to use it for ~5 years, I'd recommend getting the highest spec 13" MBP.

But if you can wait a few weeks, there is a good chance that new MBPs will be announced- you'd get more bang for your buck at that point.

10. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I agree. You should look at the 13" MBP. I own the base 13"MBP which I use when in class. The 13" will fit on most desks in the classrooms and is more manageable to carry around. I do not necessarily think you will need the upgraded system though, if you are willing to wait until the new arrandale processors and/or if you are willing to do the upgrades yourself. You can buy the memory upgrade and a large Solid State Drive for less than the $300 difference between 13" models. But either 13" is a good option.
    If price is a consideration and you find the 13" too small, you might avoid the 15" and 17" and instead look at business class windows machines such as the Lenovo Thinkpad W or T series, the Dell Latitude E6500 series and Precision Mobile Workstations, and the HP Elitebook and Envy. They should be similarly rugged but with a distinctly lesser price.
    If this will be your only computer, you should certainly make sure the 13" screen size is large enough for your needs/eyes as I only write code and read documents, never wrote a paper, on mine.
    Also you should learn, if you do not already know, about the student discounts for Apple and other PC manufacturers such as Dell, I know they do have a discount as well.

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

There's only one

You want it all?

17". It's awesomest.

12. maghemi macrumors 6502

Definitely get a macbook. It will last you much longer than a PC laptop will. Well... most brands, some are built just as tough. But they cost just as much.

just pick the spec you like the best within your budget and away you go, you won't regret it

13. babak macrumors member

I think you should get a PC laptop. You will get better speed for your money, better gaming capabilities + at your age you're not likely to keep things like computers for a long time (violuntarily or not).

14. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

WOW, thanks for all these replies. I did not know that they were going to get upgraded, always nice to know. Well If I get a laptop soon, then I will probably keep it for college.As I said, not that much gaming but still.

15. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Whatever you do, ignore shambo.
    The only reason he said BadBoy Pro is so you ask what it is and he brags how much better his MacBook Pro is than anyone elses and how it's futureproof because it's 15" rather than 13" or 17". Just completely ignore him.
    Anyway, I'd advise you wait for the update, as any MacBook Pro produced from it will likely last you longer, in terms of keeping up with programs, than if you were to buy a Core 2 Duo machine now.

16. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Ok so it is great to have one. One thing I am worried about is that not all programs are compatible with a mac. And also someone told me that you can create a wireless connection with your laptop, so wherever you go you have internet.

17. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

That was before when alot of apps were not mac compatible BUT now adays all apps are mac compatible and if you want to do gaming buy yourself a ps3.I think game console games are better than pc games anyway.

18. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

You can install windows in addition to running MAC OSX (operating system). You can install windows virtually or on its on partition of the harddrive using bootcamp.

And the macbooks do have an intel wireless card built in, so you can browse the internet when in range of a wireless router you can log into, such as at home or at school.

19. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

That's why I keep a console. You only have to upgrade once every 5+ years. It's nice. I love my PS3 and besides World of Warcraft, I play no PC games anymore (occasionally Counter-Strike: Source). I enjoy console games because I no longer have to worry about FPS on my laptop.

20. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Same. The reason, I dont want to boot camp is because, I would have to BUY windows, which I dont want to spend too much.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd wait for the next refresh where apple will be updating the MBP line presumably to the arrandale chipset. I'm not they'll include the macbook initially so wait and see.

I concur with the rest of the folks that given the portability, [current] performance and price. The 13" model will fit your needs and with the introduction of the arrandale chipset, that should carry you through college.

I like the MacBook, its price point and performance make it a good idea if you were buying it today, but given that Apple is on the cusp of releasing an updated line of laptops patience is the word of the day. Waiting also has the added benefit of saving more money and so you may be able to upgrade some of the options.

22. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

So do you think they will lower the price, because I have seen a decrease in price.

23. ammusk macrumors regular

Students get an education discount.

24. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

traditionally, the educational discount is 10% on MacBook Pros.

25. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786