Which ones has to go - Ipad 3 or MBA 2011

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tzuten, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Tzuten macrumors 6502

Hey fellas,

The layoff hammer just hit me. So I cannot really justify keeping around all my toys.. Currently I have:

Apple TV 3rd Gen
    PC Desktop i5 - My main gaming rig which I could do content on
    iPad 3rd Gen 32 gig Verizon LTE (Although I'm turning off the service)
    MBA Mid 2011 13 inch

I'm on the fence here. I'm either going to sell the the MBA or the iPad. My usage:

Web browsing - Heavy
    Chat Apps - Heavy
    Gaming - 0 on MBA / Light on iPad
    Content Creation - Light - Just basic now

I've invested some $$ in the iOS apps, but I do have an Iphone 4. I would say usage would be about 50/50 with MBA and iPad. Which one should I say goodbye to? I love both devices, but other responsibilities are higher on the list. Thoughts?

2. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Can u just sell MBA and pc then just get a little netbook for resume etc?

3. Tzuten thread starter macrumors 6502

The resale value on the PC is probably pretty bad considering it's a pieced together at home deal. If I sold the MBA I would probably get the Logitech Ultra-thin keyboard to increase my ability to create content (resume editing, etc).

Thanks for your response.

4. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

If that's the case I would sell MBA and keep iPad. If have to can always sell iPad later if have to?

Sorry man, I know it sucks. Went thru it in 2008. Good luck to u

5. irDigital0l Guest

ipad 3

you can do so much more with the macbook air

6. i0Nic macrumors 65816

You already have a desktop, do you need a full computing on the go?

If you need to do things like play PC games, full-on word processing or spreadsheets, coding, designing or video-editing on the go - sell your iPad and keep your Macbook.

If you can do all these tasks on your desktop and want a portable consumption device - sell your Macbook and keep the iPad.

7. Dunbar macrumors 6502

Tablets are pretty expendable in my book. If you need cash though I'd sell the MBA and iPad 3 and slum it with the PC. That would provide more motivation to find a job too.

8. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I would sell the MBA. I prefer the iPad if I already had a PC. I like the form factor.

9. number84 macrumors 6502

for me I would sell the MBA as you already have a desktop to use. and iPad is definitely more portable for on-the-go stuff.

10. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I think it's really hard to try to justify either. The MBA and iPad are both portable devices, but they both have very different uses.

I'd say, keep whichever you use more. Also, you'll be able to get a bigger chunk of change for your MBA, if that affects your decision.

11. taipan61 macrumors 6502

having both here with around the same usage....
    you would probably get more $ for the mba and you can always use the ipad with the pc also you've spent some dollars on apps so while they're always in the wings it would be nice to use them
    i use my mba mostly around the house and the ipad when out and about although they both travel with me

but yeah, keep the ipad and sell the mba (you can always get the latest and greatest later)

just my .02

12. Xikum macrumors 6502

You already have a desktop PC. If it was me I'd sell the MBA (it can be replaced by a very cheap netbook if you really need a portable computer) first, and if I still need money then the iPad.

Hopefully you get a job soon, goodluck.

13. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

I faced a simliar question just last week, the 2011 MBA was sold on Sunday. I have an iMac as the work horse, no need for duplication.

14. bogatyr macrumors 65816

These were my same thoughts.

15. Tzuten thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys for your thoughts.. I'll make due with the PC for the heavy lifting. Since I do travel a bit keeping a portable device at least now is essential for me.

I put up my MBA Air for sale on CL, it's funny (and sad) that 75% of the responses I've gotten so far are from folks trying to scam me...

I'm hoping that I won't be on the job market long.

16. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Craigslist is insane selling computers. I sold my Acer after buying my MBA, and even got text message scams.

A few tips:
    1) Make sure to make an easy to understand title. Don't post specs that people won't understand (say dual core, not 2.4ghz). Make sure to have apple and macbook air in there.
    2) Make your price 50 dollars more than you want to get. Why? Everyone is going to offer you at least 50 less than your asking price.
    3) Meet in the middle, or in your city. As the seller, you do not have to travel. It sucks to drive 30 minutes to have someone decide they want to lowball you after they said they would pay full price. Gas is expensive, don't waste it.

Good luck with your sale!

17. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Plus a few other tips:

Make sure they know they will have to pay in cash.

Meet in a coffee shop that is populated and where they can check out the device. No one honest wants to buy anything in a parking lot haha! Also affords safety as the seller in case they decide to jump you and take it.

18. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Hey, I sold my bass to a guy in a parking lot! But, yes, meet at a starbucks or similar that has people and wifi. Cash only.

Good luck.

19. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

You shady bugger you!!:eek: ;)

20. toondw macrumors 6502

You don't NEED a air or a iPad, very few of us do, we just WANT them, get rid of both...........if you can! ;)

21. Talon Six macrumors member

I'd keep the iPad and sell the Air. Your PC will be able to do most everything your Air can until you get back on your feet. Someone mentioned getting a logitech keyboard for your iPad - good call.