Which optibay? Some questions about SSD and Momentus XT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rethua, May 24, 2011.

1. Rethua, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

Rethua macrumors newbie

Hey there!

I'm planning to buy also an optibay, but i can say that im quite new to "upgrade" stuff about mac.

I have an early 2011 macbook pro 13" Got hitachi 320gb hdd on it.

I have been looking/reading quite much on optibay and alternatives topics, but it seems abit complicated. I still have some questions in my head.

My plan is buying a corsair force series 120gb ssd and seagate momentus xt 500gb. Im planning to have my ssd on optibay and momentus xt on hd bay. My ssd gonna be the boot disk.

1-) My first question is, i have been checking ebay for to buy optibay.Have found 2 of them; i know the second one(18$) is compatible with 2011 mbp 13" but, i dont know if the first one(5$) is also compatible with it? And both of them are sata2 - 3gbps?

First one for 5$
    Second one for 18$

Or do you recommend any other seller/product/page which is sending to turkey also? I would like if the seller send it to me with dvd enclosure with extra price.

2-) Do i need any other cable/adapter for this?

3-) What's the exact problem about hibernation and sleeping? I read something like this;

It's something important for me actually, because i always use my mac on sleep/hibernation mode. I mean i just close the screen, and thats it. I almost never shut down my computer. So what i understand is, that its not waking up after sleep if i have my ssd on optibay and as a bootdisk? Because its not checking optibay sata when its gonna wake up?

Can i get over/fix it with anything else? Is there any good fix for that like using Smartsleep program?
    If yes; is it working just like closing the screen and sleeping or should i put it to sleep mode manually? Or is it waking up normally when i just open the screen back?

4-) I have heard that there is some problems with momentus xt & mbp. Probably there is many who are using it here.

Is it working fine with firmware SD24? Checked that there is a new firmware version SD25, is it working better with SD25 without any problems?

5-) Is that so riscy to have Momentus XT on optibay slot? Or does momentus xt has own SMS or any other sensor?

6-) Read that momentus xt is almost not stopping to spin. Is there any good fix for that?

7-) Is adding optibay effecting battery life much?

:cool: When you are done with all, is time machine saving both 2 discs or just the boot disc?

All im wondering about it, before i start buying stuff and use. Hope you guys can help me! :) Thanks!

2. Rethua thread starter macrumors newbie

3. mike2732 macrumors member

Bump

4. Rethua thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean, it takes at least 2 weeks for me to get optibay thing, i dont wanna do anything without i get any answer :/

5. Rethua thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it getting out of warranty if we put optibay? Not any answer yet but yeah..

6. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Hi there
    I bought the OWC Data Doubler and it's working flawlessly. The only thing which I'm experiencing is, that the MBP doesn't go tho sleep automatically anymore. If I choose sleep mode manually it works like it should
    About warranty, you just need to put the Superdrive back in if you have problem with your MBP and want to bring it to a Genius Bar. Any defects which have been caused by the Optibay upgrade won't be covered by the warranty of course.
    I can recommend the OWC Data Doubler, all the required tools are included, and the hardware is really high quality.
    Regards...

7. gmans46 macrumors regular

jron- I just bought the 750gb 5400 rpm optibay today. How is it, Im pairing it with my stock 128gb ssd is the installation pretty seamless?

8. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

You mean the installation of the Optibay itself? There are good instruction videos on macsales.com. They have videos for each model. The installation on my 17" was pretty easy. Just make sure you have the right tools.

9. Rethua thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the answer dude, as long as sleep mode works normal(getting it in to sleep mode manually is not problem as long as it wakes up). I guess i will also buy OWC Data Doubler.

10. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

You're welcome
    The package was delivered within 5 days to Switzerland. I also bought the external drive enclosure from OWC which is bus powered. OWC is a good choice.

11. gmans46 macrumors regular

the tools come in the package though right i got the 5 piece kit?

12. gmans46 macrumors regular

and could I also have a link to the external drive enclosure.. Thanks!

13. auhlixer macrumors regular

I have the same question about if they support sata3

14. nostoppin macrumors newbie

the primary hard drive bay does have sata3, the optical bay only has sata2. so if you buy a sata3 drive, it's wasted unless it goes in the primary bay

15. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

The early batches had sata2. The recent batches are sata3. My 2011 15" MBP has sata3 for both the optical and HDD bay.

16. clickclickw00t macrumors regular

Mine as well. Bought in May.