Which option to go for 15" , 256 or 1GB ?

AJ/Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Hi guys
i am just wondring
which option will give me good performance for these programs :

1- Adobe lightroom
2- iPhoto
3- Apreture

and consider that i wont be gaming on this device , but i will use it connected with my 1080P screen , once in a while for editing photos and watching movies.

i am looking for a device that can live with me for 5 years , and i will be having the High-Res glossy screen .

Thank you

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
OP, you'll be fine with the regular graphics card.

The 1GB version is probably an advantage for those running Maya or other 3 D software on their MBPs.

At least that's what I was told when I asked the exact same question.

AJ/Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Thank you guys
im waiting to hear more opinions regarding this , because some people say its a big difference , other say only 3D will be affected .
the 256 chip has a 64-bit bus
and 1GB chip has a 128-bit bus
how will that matter to me ?

lindstedt56

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
How about sell your macbook pro right before the refresh for a small ammount lower then you bought it for and buy the new model. Rinse and repeat every year and you get a new computer every year.

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
Thank you guys
im waiting to hear more opinions regarding this , because some people say its a big difference , other say only 3D will be affected .
the 256 chip has a 64-bit bus
and 1GB chip has a 128-bit bus
how will that matter to me ?
:confused:

How long are Macs with the 256 chip expected to last?

ABadSanta

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
The base dedicated graphics card offered in the 15" model will definitely give you good performance to run those programs. While it is a low to mid range dedicated graphics chip compared to all others on the market, it is very capable, and will run apps like Adobe smoothly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.