Which option?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xpsm1730, Jul 19, 2010.

1. xpsm1730 macrumors regular

OK so I fked myself and here is the situation.

Iphone was on 4.0 - i backedup and downgraded to 3.1 - now it's JB+UNlocked but i can't get my data/contacts from the backup file as the file was saved on 4.0

I have a 2nd iphone also on 3.1 - when I plug that in I get a msg if I want to update it to 4.1

When I plug in the one I downgraded I get the message "setup as new to restore from backup"

Here are my questions

1. Can I get my contacts back?

2. I want to use my phone on 3.1 (as its much faster) - if I update the 2nd phone to 4.1 ... will I be able to load my backup file on phone 2? That way I can just view and manually copy the contacts to the original phone.

3. How else can I go about this?

4. If i go ahead and 'setup as new' for my 1st phone won't it delete the backup file saved on itunes?

Thanks!

2. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

Can I restore an iphone3g from a backup taken from another iphone3g?

If so - I can just update the 2nd phone to 4.1 and use the backup file from the 1st phone and manually transfer my contacts.

Is this possible?

Thank you

3. gazzer82 macrumors regular

You should in theory be able to restore to any iPhone as long as it is running software which is the the same or newer than the phone that created the backup.

So in theory you should be able to.

You could then setup and account with someone like gmail, sync your contacts on the 4.0.1 phone, then setup the same account on your 3.1 phone and sync them up.

Cheers

Gareth

4. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok here is the issue

When i go to update the 2nd phone - itunes start taking a new backup. Will this erase the backup taken from phone1?

If not - then once phone2 is updated to 4.1 can I install the phone1 4.0 backup on phone2?

Thank you so much