which options for macbook white?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gumbercules, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Gumbercules macrumors member

Hello all,

This is my first post so please be kind:eek:

I have finally decided to buy another mac laptop, after being without one for a considerable amount of time, and think that i will go for a macbook white.

I have a maximum £1000 to spend, but would rather keep it as low as possible as anything over £700 will have to come out of my overdraft and as a uni student that is something best avoided.

My use for the machine will be mostly average stuff...typing using pages and macspeech dictate, surfing the web with up to 10 tabs at a time, using bbci player and youtube, mail, storing photos and video (while away from my desktop), listening to some itunes, and the odd bit of photoshop (but not crucial stuff!). It would also be nice to be able to watch DVD's on it!

I will be buying applecare with it (it is only £50 as a student), and will be taking advantage of the ipod and printer rebate if i can get the cash up-front!)

My question is this however...should I look to get any upgrades when I order the machine? Here is my thinking...

1. Should I bump the ram to 4GB with apple, as from crucial it is around £45, but only £69 with apple and has applecare?

2. Should I upgrade the hard drive to either 250 (for £35) or 320GB? (for £69) I will probably never do this in the future, so would like to get what will last me for a couple of years! As far as I can tell an OEM 320GB drive costs about £40 from a third party, so again would be more expensive from apple but also less hassle and would include applecare!

I'm going to order either tomorrow or the day after and don't want to make a mistake that i will regret later!

Price on its own (+ applecare) = £690
    Price with 4GB +250 GB (+ applecare) = £793
    Price with 4GB +320 GB (+ applecare) = £828

What do you think I should do?

Thanks for any advice you guys have!

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

If you don't plan on upgrading the Macbook yourself, get the 4GB of RAM and 320GB hard drive direct from Apple.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd go with the 320 GB hard drive and install it yourself.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Look at ifixit.com to decide if installing the third party stuff is something you want to tackle yourself or not. Having the stuff from apple covered as part of AC is nice, but most third-party manufacturers have a warranty on their kit as well.

Oh, and welcome back to Macs.;)

5. Gumbercules thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all of the responses guys, they are much appreciated.

I had a look at ifixit.com and firstly, wow what a useful resource! However to be honest I don't have any tools or experience, and so think that if I am to go for upgrades, I should just let apple handle them.

With my usage in mind, would you recommend upping the ram, would this be necessary? Also would it be worthwhile going for the full 320 GB, or would 250 be enough?

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Yes you should definitely get the 4GB of RAM so you don't have to upgrade it in the future. Well if you have lots of media, applications, etc, get the 320GB hard drive. You can always get an external hard drive in the future.

7. Gumbercules thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info, does anyone know what brand the 320 or indeed 250 GB drives are? It would be nice to compare it to those on ebuyer.com

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Usually it's whoever is the cheapest bid when apples buys in parts.