Which options matter for streaming hi-def media over the web?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bennettave, May 3, 2011.

1. bennettave macrumors member

Im interested in setting up a media machine. I'd like to be able to stream hi-def video/sound over the web without hiccups. Is the base-everything 27" more than enough, or should I consider paying more in some area?

Thanks! I really don't know if RAM, VRAM or the video card will matter for this application.

2. bennettave thread starter macrumors member

bump.

Does anyone have input on this? I'm currently using a TiBook 1GHz w/ 1Gb RAM. It sucks for streaming content. My internet connection is fast though.

Is the base 27" more than enough to stream any HD content I'd want?

3. sth macrumors 6502a

Any model will do.

Your TiBook is probably too slow for decoding HD video in realtime (even my old Core2Duo MBP had problems with that, depending on the bitrate).

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Is this a serious question? Let me understand what you're trying to do. You're asking if a Sandy Bridge CPU is good enough to be able to play 720p HD content (most likely to not be 1080p) streaming from a website? Is that really the question? You're wondering if the computer is good to enough to consume and play back 720p videos from the internet?

5. Austinjwalker macrumors member

if you're wanting an imac, buy a refurb from the previous line. the displays are exactly the same.

6. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Your internet connection and download speed will be the greatest limiting factor in what you are looking to do, not the speed of any of the iMac machines.

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Exactly!

spend more money on a faster connection.

Any iMac made in the last several years can do what you want.