Which OS is best for a 2010 MBP?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bostich, Mar 26, 2018.

1. bostich macrumors newbie

I stopped updating my 2010 MacBook Pro at OS 10.9 because I was afraid a newer OS could slow down the computer. I am still happy with this computer and want to keep using it until it dies. It's a 2.53 GHz i5 processor with 8 GB RAM.

But now I start having trouble with Google Chrome. I find mixed information on the web on whether the latest version still supports OS 10.9. That's why the OS update question is arising again.

What would you guys recommend? Should I update my OS? If yes, should I update to the latest OS or should I rather try and install an older one like Yosemite or El Capitan (if this is possible at all)?

2. bostich thread starter macrumors newbie

I just realised that someone very recently asked virtually the same question. As far as I can see, there is no way to delete this thread though. So anyway, I guess both El Capitan and Sierra would be good choices for me. I think I'll go for El Capitan. I have an SSD so I should be fine with this OS.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The "best" upgrade for a 2010 MacBook Pro is to replace the internal platter-based hard drive with an SSD (if you haven't already done it). It's an easy job, anyone can do it with the right tools and proper guide (go to ifixit.com to see what's involved).

If it's only got 4gb of RAM (2 2gb DIMMs), replace the topmost DIMM (when the back is off) with an 8gb DIMM, for 10mb installed.

That said, I'd take it to El Capitan, maybe Low Sierra, and "leave it there".
    High Sierra? No thanks.

4. Eithanius macrumors 65816

MBP 2010 here with SSD and maxed out RAM...

El Capitan and Sierra are both fine.

5. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

I downgraded from High Sierra to El Captain, on my 2010 17 in. MBP due to the beachball and blank screen sometimes.