which OS..not sure what to do.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Keebler, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

Ok...so my powermac g5 dually 2.0 had some bad ram.
    it was on tiger b/c there was a few apps that aren't leo compatible yet and it was running perfect.

As part of my testing, i upgraded from Tiger to Leo. Even with the ram out, I still the locking issue and the techie said that bad ram can cause other corruptions so, his advice is to do a clean erase & install.

My stuff is backed up so i'm not bothered about doing it. Except, I'm not sure which OS to put back on?

Can I go back to Tiger after being on Leo? I popped the Leo dvd back in for the fun of it (before I thought about going back to Tiger) and I didn't see the erase & install option. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it when I re-installed Tiger (which was a few steps before reinstalling Leo).

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    keebler

PS. I should say that my mac pro is also still on tiger and it's my main working machine. The G5 is for photoshop, nikon scanning and occasional final cut pro editing and mpeg2 compression.

2. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

If you need Tiger still for some apps that aren't yet compatible, then stick with Tiger.

3. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I think you answered your own question.

4. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

i guess i did, but i did have the other question asking whether there's any issues going from leo to tiger? install wise that is?

5. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Fresh install it no question. Don't waste your time with a questionable install, a fresh one is the only way to tell a systems stability.

6. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks folks.

i ended up going back to tiger. i tried the nikon scan on my mac pro and remembered that even though it works, it's incredibly slow.

consider this thread closed. thanks again.

7. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

If the machine is running right, there should be no significant speed difference between tiger and leopard.