Which OS X for 17" Intel Core Duo iMac 2006?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Trekker2014, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Trekker2014 macrumors newbie

I just recently bought a 17" iMac intel core duo and I'm wondering which OS X it needs? After a great deal of searching, I can only find OS X for the Core 2 duo....as that was the next series in the intel line.

Also, I've borrowed a usb mac keyboard from a Mac Pro to use with it but it doesn't seem to respond with it. I read somewhere that the old plastic iMacs also came with this certain plastic white keyboard. Does it need to have the original kb to use it? I would have though practically any usb kb or mouse would work with it. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Not sure, but 2007 was Tiger or Leopard. I'd imagine the last OS X you could use would be 10.6. Probably easier to work backwards, and I think 10.7 was what left Core Duos behind. Not sure though. I also seem to recall that pre 10.7 you'd have to buy a system disk from Apple if you don't have one.

Check everymac.com for keyboard issues.

3. twoehr macrumors member

According to Mactracker the Core 2 Duo models from 2006 can go up to 10.7.5.

I just bought two of these myself. One came with 10.5.4, the other 10.7.x. I am going to image the newer and restore to the older. I need to learn how to first. While I can "turn a wrench" on a Windows computer, I'm only a user on a Mac.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I wouldn't go beyond Snow Leopard which is still available from Apple's online store for $20.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.8) is the latest version of OS X this supports. You can buy it directly from Apple: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard
    Startup keys with the newer keyboards don't work with these older Macs for some reason, so you may need to find one of the older white/clear keyboards for full functionality.