which OS

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chris200x9, Jan 13, 2008.

1. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

This summer I'm planning an building an über PC well über in my opinion anyway I'm wondering what OS to put on it I like linux and I'm thinking about ubuntu but I want 2 * 1 TB drives and I want them in a pool I was thinking could I set up some kind of RAID with ubuntu or would I be better of with nexenta and trying to set up a zpool?

2. juanm macrumors 65816

3. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want to store all my dvd's using handbrake but don't want to split up my folder of movies between two hard drives, so I want the two to be pooled.

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I think using a NAS with RAID support would be a better idea (both financially as well as for simplicities sake) if all you are going to be using it for is a file repository.

5. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm an über n00b so would you mind telling me how I would go abouts doing that

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

7. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Most stores that sell external hard disks sell Network Attached Storage (NAS) systems. They are basically external hard disks with ethernet connections. You cannot just hook them like you could with FireWire or USB hard drives, but companies selling them usually have an easy web based setup procedure. Make sure you get something that is Mac compatible. If not, you may need to use a Windows machine for the initial setup. Afterwards, it probably does not matter what kind of computer you use to access the files.

8. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

those are expensive an look like crap in my opinion, is there anyway I could just get 2 internal 1TB drives and somehow have them work as one?

9. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Yes, thats called RAID. You need something to facilitate that, which requires a RAID PCI card or onboard chipset in a computer, or a chipset within an enclosure in the case of a RAID-enabled direct-connection or Network connected box (as I linked to newegg)

Does it matter if it looks like crap? Its going to be hidden away somewhere, right? Its not like you have your fileserver on your desk.

Does this look any sexier to you?
    http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-RAID2.cfm
    [​IMG]

Just a FYI, if you think these are expensive, then you're not going to go anywhere with a full RAID machine. The raid card alone to enable this in a computer will cost almost what a cheap enclosure will.

10. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The first thing you have to do is stop saying "über". ;)

12. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Well a home server setup is the same as a computer setup. Find a guide on how to build a computer, focus your budget on storage, and find some RAID software or something. (Most motherboards can do RAID as well)