Which otterbox case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Nrwrit3r, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

The commuter seems good but the defender seems way more protective...if you drop the commuter with the iphone do you guys think it would still have a risk of the screen shattering?

Also can you use the defender without the front part?

2. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

The screen should be fine. I'd go for the commuter. Gives great protection, doesn't add much bulk and it isn't a pain to install. I've used both and I'd get the Commuter in the blink of an eye

3. cowsrus macrumors 6502

The only optional part of the defender is the belt holster

I love the feel of the defender and how I know my phone is protected, but its so hard to get out of my pocket I decided to opt for the commuter the other day. I have heard mixed reviews about it but am not getting it tomorrow so who knows. Problem is, the back where the apple cut out is isnt protected on the commuter like it is on the defender, so now I have to purchase another screen protector.

Defender - perfect in every way for protection, size will become an issue for most

Commuter - protects most things short of a hammer to the phone or a 30ft drop, slimmer and the plastic is on the outside, allowing it to not stick inside pockets as much

i'll let you know tomorrow how i really feel when i have the commuter in hand as well

4. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Id also go for commuter my friend has it and it is good

5. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I had a Commuter on my iPhone 3GS and loved it. I have a Commuter on my iPhone 4 and love it.

I'm using the Seddio Active holster with it as a belt holder and it looks/fits perfectly.

6. nexedzero macrumors regular

nexedzero

i would not get the defender i used it and had nothing but problems i would go with the commuter

7. TITNTUFF macrumors regular

TITNTUFF

I do use Defender

Been on phone since 2nd day I had it. I work outdoors and am rough on phones. So far been dropped on concrete, asphalt, sand, and steel, and has been rained on and thru carwash.
    Phone looks like it came out of box.
    Defender looks good, but with some "battle scars". Without it I would be on about my 4th phone.

8. Sulaco macrumors member

Of course it will look like it is out of the box, you probably had the wax option on the car wash! ;)

I would ho for the defender too myself, and hope not to have the 'oil slick' problem. However I'm going to try the Seidio Innocase rugged. Hope to have it tomorrow.

9. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I put the Defender case on mine a couple weeks after they came out and it hasn't come off the phone since I put it on. I really like this case and like holster also.

You could say it was tested sort of last night my brother threw a big glass of water at me and the phone was sitting next to me and had water all over it. But having the defender on it not a single drop go on the phone or in the ports. Just wiped it off didn't think a thing about it.

It would have been easy for a drop of water to hit one of the sensors and screw up the warranty, but nope safe and sound.