Which Password Manager: 1Password vs. Wallet

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buddyspencer, Jan 9, 2011.

1. buddyspencer macrumors regular

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I used 1Password before and it was ok. Then I found Lastpass and I like it a lot better. It is one account, cross browser and cross platform. That means no matter if I am using Firefox, Safari, OS/X, Windows 7 or whatever, I have secure access to my password accounts.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use 1Password and have been very happy with it on the Mac
    Not so much on the iPad and iPhone

Never used the others

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

KeePassX. Cross-platform compatibility, local storage.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use 1Password sync'd via dropbox. It works fine, but I only use it on Macs and iPod Touch.

6. buddyspencer thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried all three programs.

Everyone has it's pro and cons... Unfortunately 1Password is very expensive. Currently too expensive for me. But maybe it is worth it?!

No one wrote something about "wallet"?! Isn't it a good program?

7. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

1Password!!

I have been using 1Password for 3 years now and it's a very important part of my Digital Life. I now sync with Dropbox on all iDevices and Macs.

Started using Lastpass for about 5 or 6 months ago and it works OK for the price (free) but I end using 1Password more. 1Password is more integrated with Mac OSX and iOS, and have better options.

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

1Password is really great. I also have Lastpass but I don't like the lack of a proper desktop client. 1Password has clients for Mac, the iPhone, the iPad and Windows. It works with most modern browsers and syncs with Dropbox. Highly recommended and well worth the money.

9. buddyspencer thread starter macrumors regular

For me I can't say if I should give a go with 1Password or Wallet.

Wallet is cheaper, but (in my opinion) I don't know if it's the better solution, than 1Password (which is really really expensive).

Anyone having some notes/issues concerning "wallet"?

10. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I've used 1Password, Wallet, and LastPass. I use both 1Password and Wallet now. I use 1P for web passwords and the like, while Wallet is used more for accounts I don't use that often or are old and CD Keys and stuff like that. You can also input credit card info and bank account info if you want. The one thing that 1P has over Wallet is the browser extensions that allow you to fill a login with 1 click. Also, if you know where to look, you don't have to pay for any of them.

11. skygremlin macrumors member

Google Chrome

Has anyone gotten 1Password to work with Chrome? I downloaded the free demo to try, but am having issues getting it to work. Also, it doesn't work with my Bank of America account, whether in Chrome or Safari.

Chances are there's a doc that says in bold "Not compatible with certain sites like Bank of America" but I haven't seen that.....yet..:)

12. Squadleader macrumors regular

1password for me...Is 39 bucks worth keeping your banking and credit card info secure....??

13. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

Make sure to enable dev builds

Works great for me!

14. gks macrumors 6502

I have both Wallet and 1Password.

1Password is way better in my mind. The autofilling feature works really well in 1Password, not so much in Wallet.

The iPhone app is way better for 1Password.

Go 1Password. Should've got in on that free license of 1Password that they had going for thanksgiving. Anyone with a 1Password license could gift a license to someone else.

15. kalex macrumors 65816

I use to use 1password but ended up switching to lastpass. 1password is limited to macs and iphones. Only recently they started to venture into windows and android but I got fed up with waiting so ended up switching. Lastpass is not as polished as 1password is but its secure, robust and does what i need without worrying about what I would do if i switch platforms. After wasting enough money on one platform products, I tend to look for cross platform solutions so I'm not tied down to specific program. If apple does something stupid with new release and I don't like it, I can switch to windows without issues.

16. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

You have to download the 1Password Chrome extension from the Chrome extension gallery in addition to having the 1P application installed.

17. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

1Password.... Great program, never a hassle. Works with most browsers on OS X. More than sufficient for me.

18. skygremlin, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

skygremlin macrumors member

I downloaded the Dev build, installed the extension from this link (http://agile.ws/s/a330894b8)

I have the 1Password icon in the upper right corner of my window (end of the address bar) but when I click on it nothing happens. Or when I right click in a logon field (facebook for example) nothing happens. Any ideas?? Kinda frustrating...

My example using facebook does work within FireFox though -- "when I right click in a logon field (facebook for example)"

19. the eleven macrumors newbie

DataVault?

Sorry for the thread drift, but has anyone tried/used DataVault?

It looks good, and has decent reviews.

20. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I use 1Password and love it.

The best part in my opinion is the dropbox sync. Now both of my families MBP's have that info without any hassle.

21. skygremlin macrumors member

I think I got it - I had to follow some troubleshooting tips from here:

- http://blog.agile.ws/450843073/..

"If you’ve been running the Chrome beta, you may have to delete your existing Chrome support folder before trying to install the extension. I know I had to, and you can find this folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome (where “~” is your Home user folder). This means your bookmarks, browsing history, open tabs, and other settings will also be lost. Such is the fast-paced life of living on the edge. The next time your start Chrome, you can use the Chrome > Import Bookmarks and Settings option to re-import all your stuff from either Safari or Firefox if need be."

22. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Hands Down, 1Password. It is one of the best apps for the Mac.

My wife and I use 1Password on:

- 27" iMac (shared)
    - Two MBAs (one each)
    - Two iPads (one each)
    - Two iPhone 4s (one each)
    - My work Lenovo X201 PC.

100% of my passwords are auto-generated, unique, and very complex. I have just one complex password that I remember for my 1P Vault. 1P autofills the passwords for me. A typical website password may look like: wGZvE8=LQ'Iejs3jeCwJclnC

/Jim

23. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g