which PCI slots share the same bus?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brent0saurus, Apr 17, 2009.

1. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

I'm installing some firewire cards in a mac pro at my school but the Mojo that we're hooking up needs to be on it's own bus. Do certain pci slots share a bus together?
    I remember on the powermacs they did. like 1 and 3 did or something weird.

THANKS!!!!

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I'm not sure what you mean by "bus"... are you sure this applies to PCI slots? AFAIK all PCI slots are connected through the ICH on an Intel platform.

Also, people will need to know what generation of Mac Pro you are talking about.

3. thagomizer macrumors 6502

I hope your firewire card is PCIe, not PCI. Mac Pros do not have PCI slots.

Any firewire ports that you add via a PCIe card will be on a separate firewire bus from the Mac Pro's onboard firewire ports.

However, if your PCIe card has more than 1 firewire port on it, they may share a firewire bus *together*. You'll need to read your firewire card's documentation to know for sure.

You say you're installing multiple firewire cards in the same Mac Pro. If your mojo is the only firewire device on its particular card, you'll be fine.

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

5. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

thanks guys!
    i got it figured out. i called apple and they said it doesn't really apply to PCIe cards since they use lanes or something? I don't know, they didn't explain it very well but basically said each slot is dedicated so i'm good.

Thanks again!!