Which pentalobe screwdriver for retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmylrea, May 24, 2013.

1. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

Got a OWC Aura, but it didn't come with the tools that it was supposed to (arrrgghhh..) so now I'm frantically looking for the tool I need.

Trying to get something via Amazon.com (SAT delivery) and wondered if the same pentalobe screwdriver for iPhone 4/4S works on the MBPr or does the MBPr take a different size?

Or, Home Depot? I searched HD for "pentalobe" but it just came up with a bunch of screwdriver sets without pentalobe drivers.

Thanks!

2. dmylrea thread starter macrumors 68000

dmylrea

I figured it out (thanks, Wikipedia). The iPhone 4/4S pentalobe tool is a different size than the MBRr. TS1 vs TS4, respectively.

I found this kit on Amazon. Looks good. We'll see tomorrow. :)

3. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

5. dmylrea thread starter macrumors 68000

dmylrea

Thanks for the tip (pun intended). :)

That 54-bit kit looks way nicer than the set I got off Amazon and the price is about the same. Since one of the bits in the Amazon-supplied kit is misformed, I'll probably return it and get this one.

Quick question, though...once inside the MBPr, the screw that holds down the SSD looks to be a pentalobe screw, but bigger. Anyone know if it is indeed a pentalobe screw? I got it out with a Torx bit, but looking at it with a mag glass it looked like a pentalobe.

Thanks!

6. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Not a pentalobe... It's a Torx T5.

7. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

Not Torx

Your’s must be a weird MBP Retina. The old MBP’s were Torx. The new ones are TS5 for the bottom cover screws. There may be other sizes used inside to hold the battery and other components down but as mine is still under Applecare, I have not opened it up yet. I have just tried a Silverhill TS5 pentalobe driver and it fits.

8. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

It's almost as if they don't want you to get in there....

9. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

They don’t :)

10. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Nope, not weird.

My reply is for the screws INSIDE the Retina MBP (specifically the SSD screw, dmylrea asked about), not the screws for the casing.

TS5 Pentalobe is for the case cover.