Which personal cloud / NAS to buy (WD, Seagate, other)?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by jrmyeh, Nov 17, 2015.

1. jrmyeh macrumors newbie

Hello....hoping for some thoughts from any of you experienced in these devices.

I've got a MBP (El Cap) running behind a Time Capsule router.

A long time ago, I started using Dropbox, which works very well, but my perception of its security flaws eventually bothered me enough that I looked around and switched to Tresorit (I also considered Spider Oak, but read multiple posts saying it was very slow). Tresorit doesn't support Mac that well (they use Windows file naming restrictions, and if you have GB worth of small files....well, good luck making that a convenient operation). Also, I've been uncovering multiple bugs with Tresorit, letting their customer service people know, and getting no response. So, it's time to move on.

I like the personal cloud ideas of security and I physically own the server. I would like it to work as fluidly as Dropbox did (naturally). For my purposes, the latter includes seamless Finder integration (showing up as a folder or an external drive), whether within my home network, or somewhere in the outside world.

I've been doing some research on the the WD My Cloud, and the Seagate Personal Cloud devices.

The WD device has just undergone a revision to its "OS 3", so it's difficult to apply older reviews to current implementation (I don't know how much they improved the software). I have seen various posts saying that it does not integrate into Finder when you're outside of your network, but requires a kludgy app. I have also ready more recent reviews saying that there is a folder sync option, which sounds like it could replicate Dropbox functionality.

The posts I've read on the Seagate device clearly mention a memory-resident app that makes the drive integrate into Finder, whether inside or outside of your personal network. Some folks didn't like the need for a memory resident app, but if it works well and doesn't hog system resources, I wouldn't mind it. Several people commented on the fact that the device was really simplified for average Joe consumer use, and the NAS settings couldn't be tweaked much at all. This last part may or may not be an issue for me - I just want it to work like Dropbox, and I don't know how really simplified the user settings are.

Sorry for the long post, but has anyone here tried to replicate Dropbox functionality with a personal cloud device, and what was your experience like?

Thanks!

2. TSloper74, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

TSloper74 macrumors member

Do yourself a favor and get a Synology or QNAP box. The WD My Cloud is junk. The Synology setup may seem to be overkill for personal use but it works and doesn't enforce artificial limitations. I've tried the WD twice and gave up.

The Synology environment can certainly offer you an experience similar to Dropbox on all of your devices. Plex is also a great experience on Synology if you want to serve up media files to your devices at home or on the go.

Tim

3. Bbeelzebub, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

Bbeelzebub macrumors member

Bbeelzebub

Seagate and WD are horrible. Synology is the way to go if you care about your data. LaCie also makes some affordable NAS units. (Which much like Hitachi, are better made than their parent companies other products.)

It's not even simply about the software, but the drive failure rates for Seagate and WD products is ridiculous. I hate that WD acquired Hitachi.

4. jrmyeh thread starter macrumors newbie

@TSloper74 and BBeelzebub,

Thank you both very much. I will begin researching the Synology and QNAP offerings.

J