Which phone is "sturdier", 5s or 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigCanoe, Sep 24, 2014.

1. BigCanoe macrumors 6502

My son has broken two iPhone screens by dropping them. I am looking to get new phones but I am thinking the 5s might be more durable than the 6 given the same case?

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

My guess is that the 5s is more durable, although less enjoyable.

He has not been using a case that is slightly raised around the front?

3. darkonex macrumors member

You could get a 6 and not let him touch it? Or if you mean they were his phones you could get him a nice flip phone instead? :)

4. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

I am making him pay for insurance or Apple care, but I want to hedge my bets. Hes fine with either a 5s or a 6, and I will need a sturdy case for it.

He has been using a cheap case, guess that didnt help. The first one was caseless.

5. Phoboss macrumors member

let him pay for everything, so he learns something about value... if he brakes it, it's his problem.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The 5S is a stronger design, but if you use an Otterbox style case it doesn't matter because you can toss those things across the room and they will be fine. That being said, the 5S is probably easier to hold for someone with small hands.

7. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

I'd say 5s as well. The aluminum case goes all the way up the sides, smaller area overall, etc.

I'm hoping the 6/6 Plus will have any structural weakness over the 5s mitigated with the use of a good quality case.

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

It's really up in the air at this point. Preliminary drop tests have been meh in my opinion. And no drop test accounts for a case. My wife has a 5s with an otterbox commuter and she drops her phone quite a bit (just did it yesterday in the garage buckling my daughter into the car). I've carried both a 5 and now a 6. I dropped my 5 on the concrete and got a few dings and about 1/4" little ding on the edge of the screen... nothing big.

I'd get the 6, personally... just because to me there is not a point in going back at all when it comes to technology. Get a 6 and an otterbox defender case or lifeproof or something and make him PAY when it breaks!!