Which Phone to Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dingdongbubble, Apr 18, 2009.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Hello everyone! :D

Which phone do you think I should buy? I am looking at the iPhone and the Blackberry Bold and 8900. I have a Nokia E61 right now and it works alright for me but I think its time for an upgrade or at the max after a few months.

My requirements:
    great typing (QWERTY keyboard a must)
    VOIP (like Skype, google talk)
    IM client for MSN (like ebuddy)
    fast web browsing (Opera Mini should do but a powerful processor would be necessary)
    WiFi

My preferences:
    youtube (strong preference)
    long battery life
    easy to read documents (so I can read PDF books)
    good speakers (for listening to MP3s)
    generally convenient to transfer files to phone from computer
    capability to store and watch movies (not very strong preference)
    3G
    VNC client (added bonus)

Factors not important for me:
    Email (basic usage is sufficient)

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Wait a few months and see what the new iPhone offers you. I wouldn't make any decisions until june. :) This is an Apple forum, you are going to mostly get votes for iPhones, extreme biased. ;)

3. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

^oh :(

Well then where can I ask for unbiased opinions? The Crackberry forums would be biased too.

Anyways I still want to know what the folk over here think and WHY.

And I dont at all mind waiting till June. E61 is good enough for now.

4. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I love Apple for my computers and iPods but I've found after using the 2G and 3G iPhone (not just using, I took both out on contract) that I prefer my BlackBerry.

I currently have the Bold, and honest to G-d, its amazing.

The best *phone* I have used. It has all the IM clients built in, and flawless PUSH services for email, MySpace, Facebook, and more. It does everything out of the box (here comes someone about to argue "you can buy apps for the iPhone!!" - well, you can for the BB as well, except all the IM clients on the BB are free and installed out of the box, and have PUSH).

I vote BlackBerry for what you've listed (QWERTY keyboard is brilliant, very nice to type on).

Someone will bash me for daring to suggest the BB over the iPhone, but thats my opinion.

Also, if you're going the BB route, do not get the Storm, its hideous, and the 8900 is not 3G, the Bold is, and has WiFi. The BB does not have YouTube, though. I'm sure I read it might in the future, but it currently doesn't.

5. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Skype is supposed to be released soon.

Check out Crackberry.com ;)

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

There's nothing wrong with suggesting the bold. It's a great phone.

OP, "great battery life" and smartphone are at war with one another. Your usage will depend how long it lasts.

One thing to consider about the qwerty keypad is that with 3.0, the iphone will support landscape (bigger keypad) in all standard apps. That's something to consider if the portrait mode bothers you.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Jimbo Slice macrumors member

The only reason I'd choose BB over an iPhone is if it was integrated in my workplace and they gave it to me as part of my job. BB makes amazing devices and if I was going to get one, I'd do the new Curve. The Bold is simply too bulky and massive, it better suits women who have purses IMO so they can just stash it in there. Holding a Bold or talking into it at my ear feels like I'm talking into a Texas Instruments BA II Plus or something lol.

I don't even need to list the reasons to get an iPhone as everyone else can and you most probably already know. So instead I'll just give you a few drawbacks of getting an iPhone: -

1. Battery life on 3G is dismal, if you use it and all of its features, you'll find yourself having to recharge every night.
    2. Touchscreen keyboard doesn't give you tactile feedback (doesn't bother me, I actually type faster on an iPhone keyboard because of how smart the auto-correct is; however some people prefer a physical kb)
    3. No removal battery
    4. No Bluetooth file sharing between phones... yet :p

Thats about all that I can think of...

11. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

It sounds like you would want a Blackberry of some sort. The iPhone could be your second choice. Go with the blackberry if you need it for business. Go with the iPhone if you want a fun kind of phone with the light business aspect.

12. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

The only reason I am saying go with the iPhone because it does everything you listed, so I am assuming the iPhone is good for all your needs, except the file transfer part because you would need the iphone connect to a wifi network (the application to do that is called AirSharing, which is a document reader + wireless drive in one). If you need anything MORE the iphone innovates itself every month or so either from apple or from 3rd party communities, so you won't get bored with it unless....well I can't really say, I get bored of my iphone once in a while...until I turn it on :)

If you don't like the iphone, get the blackberry bold like someone mentioned, I love my iphone and alot of people love theres too.

13. Mjmar macrumors 65816

All the phones that you listed can fulfill nearly all of your criterias. It all comes down to which one you want the most. The iPhone's strong points are Internet, media, and the app store. The other phones are definately better for email and you might like a physical keyboard better than iPhone's. I'd go with the iPhone, but they're all great phones...

14. Milfette macrumors newbie

Milfette

i agree with all the blackberry users. Both my parents have iPhones and with all the stuff i hear about em, i really gotta admit i never considered for a moment leaving my blackberry for it.

Its just a proven phone that works and really really well AS A PHONE and a bit of a mobile office for me. Apps are cool but thats why we have iPod Touches/PSP/DSi etc etc.

and a blackberry pretty much does all the things in your list of the box (depending on what you mean by battery life) maybe check out the Niagra 9630
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/04/18/blackberry-9630-review-part-1/

15. christ347 macrumors newbie

christ347

Try Nokia 5800 this phone has excellent features and price is also low as compared to apple iphone. Another touch screen phone which is coming from the house of Nokia is Nokia N97 but for this phone, we have to wait for atleast six months approx.