Which phone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alphaod, Sep 8, 2008.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I normally don't post here about phones, but the "other" place it's all flaming wars and fanboiism.

Anyways I'm eligible for the upgrade pricing on the iPhone 3G tomorrow. However it's not my top choice, as I didn't like the first gen iPhone very much.

Just a bit background: I current use a Nokia E90 which is a helluva device, so I'm not moving from some POS phone with 2 features and can't hold a candle to the iPhone. The E90 has everything the iPhone 3G has plus Adobe Flash (with means all websites work), 30FPS video, camera with autofocus and flash, etc. In other words, it's pwnz0rs the iPhone in every way possible in terms of features. But it's big and it's heavy. Also it's over a year old, and in my terms that's call retirement.

Here are the only 2 phones I will consider:
    iPhone 3G or Nokia E71.

First off I'm a Symbian person, but I willing to give the iPhone another shot considering how cheap it is.

The only thing that's stopping me from buying the E71 and asking for some help here is this:
    The iPhone 3G is $299 and the E71 is $550. $550 isn't terribly expensive considering it's unlocked and I don't have to buy the ridiculous iPhone plan. Plus I don't get a new contract. It's also fast, runs my fave OS, does everything the E90 can and it's a lot lighter. However the iPhone offering looks good; I already have NetShare, which means I can technically rid of my 3G data card. I also already have a iPod touch so I know the interface, but this also means I sell the touch.

Why should I get the iPhone?

I'm mainly looking for some good experiences on it that makes the purchase worth it all.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

get the E71. If you're someone who wants features instead of the nice iPhone OS (although the symbian OS is great too) then get the full featured phone.

3. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I like features; I like the iPhone OS… oh decisions decisions.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I came from a pretty well featured phone and I used most of them, but I don't miss them much since I got my iPhone. I do miss not being able to record video. What sort of stupid omission is that!?!? I guess by tomorrow that should be fixed (maybe, probably not)

5. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

Jailbreak and download cycorder under cydia.

only problem is that the mic's volume is weak.

to the OP: im confused as to why you didn't like the 1st iphone yet you still like the OS. the only difference between the 3G and the old one is a weak GPS that drains battery, 3G network that has yet to be efficiently managed, crappier battery life, and more storage. the build does make it seem like a true phone when your grasping it or calling someone, but aside from that it sounds like the 3G will only disappoint you if you're all about features.

6. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I didn't like original because the sound quality was so-so, the speakers sucked, the vibrate was weak, it didn't have any applications (without jailbreaking), and I couldn't get my FAN discount on my service.

Mainly I missed too many phone calls because the crappy ring and vibrate.

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I say buy the iPhone. The 2.1 update will be out in... ohh 4 hours making the iPhone OS stable. It has a very nice camera, despite its low mp. It has many wonderful applications, the best interface in the world.

Whilst the iPhone does lack some hardware features, its software that makes a good phone not hardware.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't want to jailbreak my phone. It has poor enough battery life as it is!

9. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

have you considered the n96?
    the refresh is sweet.
    i personally am very happy with my iphone 3g, and i dont really like symbian all too much. but if i picked up a nokia, i think that n96 would be choice.

if you dont mind paying the extra dough, you are in good hands because you arent tied down to any one carrier, and you allow yourself to look further ahead of us who have locked in for two years.

-the iphone 3g has reported a handful of problems, although i personally havent had many of them (not saying ive come across a couple), and of course everyone is hopeful for 2.1 to come out.

-nokia makes a solid phone.

so its really up in the air.
    if i had the money to spend, id get the nokia, and if i dont like it...get the iphone, since the contract breaks the iphone down to 299. and the nokia i can spin off to a friend or family member or just keep it, knowing i have an n96 handy in the future.
    i suppose id get the nokia first and see whats up.

10. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

So I went and bought the E71 today, typing this out on it. Device is very solid, excellent reception and 3G is amazing.

I asked about the return policy and it's 14 days full refund, so I can still change my mind.

Great part is there is no contract to sign.

As with the N96, I need the qwerty keypad; had the N95-didn't cut it.

Anyways thanks y'all..

11. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

The speakers are NOTICEABLY louder (which is a positive I didn't mention) but the vibrate hasn't really changed. I put my ringer on maximum volume and there is a noticeable difference from the original. The applications are fun and serve their purpose well enough(I only download the free ones).

Glad to hear you're enjoying the e71