Which photo sharing site is best?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by seedman76, May 24, 2011.

1. seedman76 macrumors member

I'm looking for some recommendations on a good photo sharing site to use. I've used Picasa in the past and have been pretty satisfied with it but am wondering if there's something better out there. Flickr'? Picnik? etc. I'm only looking to share photos and albums privately with friends and family. I want something simple and user friendly. Thanks.

2. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

Three Primary Hosting Sites come to mind, when it comes to simplicity, ease of use, and easy to manage:

(1) Flickr. Everybody uses it, and a basic acct is free. A Pro acct is $24.95 per year. Pro Acct, gives you unlimited storage, whereas Basic has a Data Cap each month.

(2) Zenfolio. I have been using Zen for almost 2 years. It is a great site, and very easy to navigate. Doesn't have the in depth levels of customization that Smugmug has, but has everything else. If you choose to have printing done, they utilize Mpix, as their "In House" Printer. Zen has multiple levels of membership, with Data Allotments per level. http://www.zenfolio.com/

(3) Smugmug. I used to have a SM acct, but I grew tired of server down-time, and a not so user friendly interface. Many people like SM, due to its customizable interface. SM uses Bayphoto for their "In House" printing. SM also has multiple levels of membership, but their pricing tiers are slightly higher than Zen. http://www.smugmug.com/photos/best-photo-sharing/

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

if you have used iPhoto then it will work with flicker too

4. seedman76 thread starter macrumors member

5. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I have a Pro Flickr account. It is cool to store photos and receive feedback to your photos.

But for sharing with family, I can honestly say it is pathetic. Scrolling thru pictures is slow, your family can't download all the photos to an album, and the general interface is quite complicated. (Not for me, but my family has told me that they don't like the Flickr webpage).

So I've been searching around, and I think I'll go for MobileMe, which I had before and my family enjoyed using it much more. It is more polished, even tho it is also slow to load photos, it has a much better navigation system. And your family can download all the album, and also upload photos to the album.

It's expensive if you use it only for the photos, but if you have an iPhone, a Mac and an iPad, it starts making sense to get it.