Which Photoshop is best?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Laurencia7, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

I am trying to decide on what photoshop to buy for my Macbook, I don't want to go broke buying Apeture, though I am sure it is worth it, I have two I am trying to choose from Adobe Elements 6 for Mac, or adobe photoshop 5.5 for Mac.

I just want to know, does 5.5 work with Leopard?
    and does Elements have the web designer features 5.5 has?

2. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Can I ask, can you make special web designer features on PE6? or is just basic image editing?

I just found both on ebay, and wanted to know.

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Anything less than Photoshop 7 won't run on your Mac. Also, anything less than CS3 won't be running at native speeds.

--Eric

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just learn to use GIMP for now; it's not as powerful as Photoshop, but it is free.

As with web design, I find emacs to be very good. :p

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Photoshop 5.5 only works on OS 9...

Someone is actually selling that? Thats mean.

You can get an educational discount of Photoshop, its significantly cheaper.

6. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am a hobbyist web designer. Though I do know how to build by HTML and XHTML code.

I just want something I can change images with, and be able to work on some of my websites, and photos. Since CS is so expensive, does Elements work with Leopard?

thanks again
    L

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

psh CS4 ftw

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Remember that you can download 30 day trial from Adobes site. Photoshop CS4 Extended and Photoshop Elements 7. If you later on want to buy that product, you can just buy a serial code from Adobe's site because you've already downloaded the application.

9. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimponosx/

It's FREE.

(both as in "free speech" and as in "free beer")

10. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

If you have the money and you're a student you can get the student version of CS4 for 200-250 if I recall correctly.

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah gimp kinda sucks man... especially when you know you are using it as a second choice.

12. Gerry R macrumors newbie

i use a combination of adobe products.. it depends on what you're going to do with it. elements 6 would run fine, but cs3/4 may bog you down. also, are you going to do a lot of graphic design kind of work? if you're only looking for color editing ( and you're a beginner) aperture would work.. but there's also adobe lightroome which is a pretty powerful editing tool. my main ones are cs4 and lightroom. i think the two work out well together. but don't forget, if you're going to use the computer for that kinda stuff, max that computer out with RAM. not necessary but it helps a ton!

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I don't know why you were even considering Aperture.. Its a completely different application from PS/PSE/etc.

14. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, I have Gimp and it is extremely hard to figure out. I don't know whether it is the set up or just how they design it, but so far have not been able to make anything really great with it.

I think I may try Elements. Found some deals.

15. Eclipseon macrumors newbie

Sorry for chiming in after you stated your final decision; however, I found that the most recent versions of Photoshop sport templates that are much too rich for me. I prefer to stick with Photoshop CS2 (or even CS) to do my graphic designing because I'm pretty familiar with where everything is and what I need to do to accomplish this effect and that :D

I've never tried Elements though, but I just wanted to give you my albeit meaningless opinion. Photoshop CS2 (and CS) seem very simple (and fun) to use once you get the hang of them. I absolutely lurv my PS CS2. It's my special brand of heroine!

16. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

17. j.e.f.f macrumors newbie

Just my $0.02...

Will you be collaborating with other designers? If so, go for Photoshop CS4. You might have problems opening their files otherwise.

If not, then Elements will do you just fine.