Which physical store to buy MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wroswaldo, Mar 16, 2015.

1. wroswaldo macrumors newbie

What are the options I have if I want to buy a new MacBook Pro (15" retina) in a physical store, with cash, preferable with discount?

Of course there is Apple Store, and I see that Best Buy is also an option.
    But I see other places selling it for a good price, like BH and MacMall, but they don't seem to have physical stores? Is there any option?

My reason is that I'm from outside US and I will be in Miami only for a day so I'd like to find a store with the mac in stock and purchase it there, in cash.

Thanks.

2. ps2sunvalley macrumors newbie

Apple restricts severely the vendor's ability to discount their products. Chances are whether you buy from Apple Store or Best Buy or some other authorized retailer it will be the same price.

Buying with cash or credit it really doesn't matter, the price isn't going to change.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

B&H has a physical store that is truly amazing. Not just computers, but pro video, photo and every other kind of gadget. People literally come from all over the world to purchase things there - I have a Greek friend and we always visit B&H when she's in the US, she brings a shopping list of things for her friends. :)

I have bought several macs there, including my MacBook Air i7/8gb/512gb shortly after its release in 2013. There were absolutely no other stores, including Apple, that stocked this model. But I walked into B&H and walked out with it. Also got a Mini there and it was the best price I could find. In fact, when you consider that I ordered from my home in NJ there was no sales tax. This bumped the overall price of a new machine down to within $5 of a refurb from Apple.

Their only physical store is in New York City. Definitely worth a trip if you can get there, it's an experience in itself. However you will pay very high New York sales tax if you purchase in store. If you can mail order from an address outside New York State, you will save a lot.

In addition to good prices, they generally offer some kind of extra at no charge. My MBA included a nice backpack and the Mini included a copy of Parallels.

4. wroswaldo thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I'm asking because I see several vendors offering discounted values. The same MacBook Pro 15" sold by Apple by $2500 I can find at Best Buy for $2250.

5. bookwrath macrumors member

Eh, that's not entirely true. Plenty of resellers are able to sell at a discount.

If you're looking to buy a 15" in store, Best Buy is your best bet. Currently, they are offering $200-250 off depending on the model. If there is a Fry's in Miami, they also are running a similar deal. Not sure how long this deal will last but it's going on the second week of it being offered.

6. wroswaldo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Boyd. I forgot to mention, indeed. I only have 1 day in Miami. I'm from outside US. So that's one reason I can't preorder and/or wait for it to arrive. I have to go to an Apple Store, or Best Buy, or somewhere else, and preferrable be sure they have the model I want (1 Tb).
    I see discounted prices for the MacBook I want everywhere (bestbuy, macmall, etc.) but with the exception of BestBuy, only for online stores, which isn't an option.

7. bookwrath macrumors member

Also, depending on how resourceful you are wanting to be... Most post offices in the US carry change of address packets which usually contain a 10% off coupon for Best Buy. That would knock a couple hundred more off the price.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I don't think you'll find a 1TB model anywhere in stock. Good luck though!

9. wroswaldo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm afraid you're right. I thought that maybe calling the store in advance would allow them to order one for me to have in stock when I arrive, but it seems that the 1 Tb is exclusive from Apple and online orders.

I see some sealed new at CraigList but not sure if it's safe?

10. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

B&h is great. they just reduced the price of the 2014 mscbok air to $819. Amazon matched the price fro its just reduced price of 899. B&h ships for free and charges NO sales tax shipping out of nyc to anywhere in the u,s. It also has the lowest prices for applecare.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I ordered mine online an am picking up at the store. No way I'm buying something like this from Craigslist. Tires? Maybe. A new rMBP? Not so much.

12. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

Be advised that i bought a mba at bb yesterday. They matched a low price from b&h but refused to also take the additional 10 percent off usps movers coupon. I argued for a half hour with 2 managers but they said policy was to give the highest discount but not two discounts. The register also refused to take the 2nd discount, the usps movers coupon. I have 14 days to return so if anyone ever got two discounts for an apple computer at bb please post details.

13. David58117 macrumors 65816

I just bought an open boxed 15" inch and used both the education discount ($50 off) and movers coupon (10% off). The computer did not take the $50 off, so the guy asked his manager who told him to just do a price adjustment.

Anyway - you can stack the coupons. Someone else was denied it as well, so he posted on the best buy forums and corporate got involved and contacted the store. Maybe print it out and show the manager?

http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Be...h-the-10-mover-s-coupon-and-the-50/m-p/890603

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

Technically, you legally have to declare the laptop as a purchase abroad and you'll be hit with import fees when you get back to your home country. If you do pay those fees, I'm not quite sure you'd be coming out on top, money-wise.

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

SSssssshhhhh

No one will ever know!!!!

16. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Also remember that the US Dollar is hitting 12 year highs so you need to consider the exchange rate for a US purchase vs the cost of buying in your own country with your own currency.

17. ABC5S macrumors 68040

I bought mine from PeachApple store in a Mall, and they gave me one additional year of warranty (4 years with the Applecare of 3 years). Promotional might be off now.....

18. Mr.Scarface macrumors member

Best Buy will stack the mover's coupon and the edu discount. The B&H price match will not be honored because the BB system won't allow it. I've tried before and the system adjusts if the coupons are added after the price match.

19. austinpike macrumors 6502

You can't expect them to match a lower price and then take another 10% off. No retailer will do that, it's one or the other. And once the manager manually overrides the price, the register likely isn't going to be able to automatically apply any further discount. Depending on current pricing and your state sales tax you may be better off just buying from B&H anyway.

Using the mover's +.edu coupon (as most people are talking about here) is different than price match+coupon. I read on another site you have to give them the mover's coupon first, then the edu. When I got my MBP last fall that worked automatically.

I'm a bit surprised the BB forum mods agreed that they should stack, as I believe one of the coupons actually says "cannot be combined." The fact that it works at all may be a bit of a system glitch. (note that it does not work for an online/in-store pickup order.)