Which physics libraries can I use?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by adildacoolset, Jul 4, 2013.

1. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

Hello,

I'm doing a game and I require the use of physics libraries. I just want something simple: all I want it to do is hardbody collisions with the usual motion calculations. It's supposed to be for a tower of blocks falling down.

So that's why I want something simple, and it has to work with 3D. I want to incorporate it into my OpenGL ES application.

Thank you all.

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

You have four options, listed in order of how certain I am they'll help:

1 - Unity is free if you make under $100K / year
    2 - Anarchy(? I think that's what it's called...) is free for iOS forever, I think
    3 - I'm pretty sure Cocos has some 3D components to it, and I think it has a physics library, so I think that'll work?
    4 - Investigate what iOS 7 includes. I don't think it actually has exactly what you want, but it's always a good idea to be familiar with Apple's roadmap when you're starting a new product that you're planning on launching in a few months.

3. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm actually coding it in raw OpenGL ES code (for the learning experience), and it's going well. So I won't turn back now and use a game engine. I just want a library that provides physics calculations, as I am not competent enough to make those myself.

I also understand that iOS 7 has some physics APIs, but I'll need to check if it can suit my needs. Problem is, I'm not in the developer program so I don't have access to the SDK. But if you help me out on this, I'll be really grateful ;)

Thank you very much for your time :)

4. charmofmaking macrumors member

Way to go, I came to the same conclusion and made my own simple engine - much more rewarding and a great way to learn.

Take a look at http://box2d.org/

5. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for that, but box2d appears to be a 2d engine. I'll try using bullet engine and I'll keep this thread posted.

6. charmofmaking macrumors member

:eek: Oh! And I was so keen to post an answer for once - face plant!

Bullet engine looks very impressive, movie SFX and the like! Would love to see what you build with it.

7. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for taking your time, bu I'm not going to build anything impressive. As I said, all I want is mainly rigid body effects. But I'll see if I can add some cool background effects. Those subtleties can make a huge difference.