Which pocket camera works well with iMovie '09???

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iboy38, Mar 23, 2010.

1. iboy38 macrumors member

iboy38

Okay, I planning on buying a new HD pocket camera. I have a chose of getting the flip Ultra HD or the Kodak zi8. I'll be editing in iMovie '09 and I heard that the Flip's files doesn't work with iMovie and I'll have to convert them. I don't feel like doing all that so can someone here tell me if this is true or not. If so, nI'm going for the Zi8 even though I heard the quality sucks at night.

2. iboy38 thread starter macrumors member

iboy38

3. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

I dunno about the flip...but the kodak zi8 is way better!! (external mic slot, takes sd cards, image stabilzation, removable battery, better video quality, etc)
    I went for the kodak zi8. It records in H.264/mov files. So there should be no problem there with iMovie :)
    (i haven't tried it...just uploading straight to youtube for now :))

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

My sister has the Flip and she doesn't seem to have any problems editing in iMovie. None that she has told me about anyway, and since I'm the de facto tech support for my family I would have heard.

I also suggest going with the zi8. I've read great things about it. Records in 1080p, has a mic input, SD card slot, and a removable battery so you can bring a spare. It also has image stabilization, which probably isn't all that great in such a small package but it almost certainly better than the shaky image you'd get from a Flip. I'm probably going to pick one up myself in the next few weeks.