Which Power Converter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flipnap, Aug 19, 2012.

  1. flipnap macrumors 6502

    May 1, 2012
    Hi Guys, need some help. Am going to be working in Munich for 9 months and will be needing to power my workstation. Im scared to death to use the wrong one and blow out my macbook. Anyone have any suggestions? I checked on amazon but i have no clue whats what as far as wattage ratings. Ill be powering a macbookpro retina with two external drives and an external monitor.

    Thanks so much in advance for any help
  2. kjlake macrumors member

    Jul 15, 2010
    Depending on the external monitor and whether or not the external drives are powered by USB, you may not need a power converter. Most monitors, and the macbook pro are compatible with either 110V or 220VAC, so all you would need is the appropriate plug. I spent several years in Germany and never had an issue.

    Be sure to look at the devices to see if they are dual voltage though, otherwise, you'll let the magic smoke out, and then it'll stop working...

  3. flipnap thread starter macrumors 6502

    May 1, 2012
    well, the monitor will be purchased im germany, i just mentioned it because ill be pumping the dedicated graphics card nonstop. So i saw converters and transformers for sale. are you saying ill simply need a converter plug? i thought you needed a sort of step down transformer or something. i seriously dont want to roll into my flat, plug in the macbook and hang out with the magic smoke (not that kind anyway)
  4. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    All Apple power supplies have been dual-voltage input for years. All you need is a plug adapter for your Macbook/Pro.

Share This Page