Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
EXPLANATION: I want a laptop sleeve, so I can slip my sleeve into whatever backpack I want and so that my bag attracts no attention. In addition full laptop bags cost a ton!

CHOICES: After a considerable amount of research (I'm a pretty cautious buyer), I have narrowed it down to two bags:

1. Tom Bihn's Monolith: $40, http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/me...Code=TB0330&Category_Code=300&Product_Count=6

2. Spire USA's Boot V: http://www.spireusa.com/products/BT4.html

LOGIC AGAINST SIMILARS: Tom Bihn makes the Mitre in the same range as the Boot V; however, this seems to offer less protection that the Boot. Spire makes the really, really cheap and lightweight Dash, but it is nothing more than a supporting cushion for someone with a full laptop bag already.

MY REASONING SO FAR: The difference in price between the two products is pretty negligible. The Monolith offers hard shell protection. The Boot is, however, made of Ballistic Nylon so it shouldn't be too bad either. I'm confused over which one offers perfect balance of price, protection, and other features.

QUESTIONS: Does anyone have either of these? How good is the padding on them? What do you think of them? Any faults you can think of? Any sleeves you recommend instead? How strong are they?

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

krisjon

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
titaniumducky said:
In addition full laptop bags cost a ton!

So does your laptop. Granted, not everyone is made of money, but I always have to laugh when people complain about the cost of a good laptop bag. What's a $150 dollars when you're protecting something you just spent an average of ten times that number or more? If you're on the go a lot, a $40 sleeve in a backpack isn't really going to cut it longterm.

weijia

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2003
My vote goes with the monolith. The hard shell is really a plus, you can just throw it in your daypack and not worry about your books damaging your laptop. I have been using it for about 4 months and couldn't be happier.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
krisjon said:
So does your laptop. Granted, not everyone is made of money, but I always have to laugh when people complain about the cost of a good laptop bag. What's a $150 dollars when you're protecting something you just spent an average of ten times that number or more? If you're on the go a lot, a $40 sleeve in a backpack isn't really going to cut it longterm.

Yes, but I'm really not on the go too often. I need a laptop mainly for portability inside the house. Going out with my laptop is a rare circumstance. I definately agree that if I left the house with my laptop often, a $150 bag would be a necessity.

I'm going to get the Monolith because of the hard protection; even though this "ballistic nylon" material is tough, I'm sure foam surrounded by Plastic is tougher.

gemio17

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2003
NYC
I have T Bihn's Mitre for my 15"pb and I couldn't be happier. Protects great, has a good layer of padding and I feel fine about putting it in my shoulder bag and carrying it around town....just another 2 cents-esp. if you're not taking it out of the house...

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
titaniumducky said:
Yes, but I'm really not on the go too often. I need a laptop mainly for portability inside the house. Going out with my laptop is a rare circumstance. I definately agree that if I left the house with my laptop often, a $150 bag would be a necessity.

I'm going to get the Monolith because of the hard protection; even though this "ballistic nylon" material is tough, I'm sure foam surrounded by Plastic is tougher.

I take my TiBook everywhere with me and I carry it in a basic North Face daypack. It is protected inside by one of these.

They revamped their sleeves so they completely cover your laptop. I own an older version where there was a buckle and one side of my laptop is exposed. But after 16 months, I have never had a problem. They run about $50 and come in some slick colors.

I work and romp on a college campus every day. Carrying a laptop bag definitely will have the thieves salivating. Of course, backpacks get stolen every day too. You just have to use common sense.

If you go with one of the Timbuk2 sleeves, you can always pick up one of their messenger bags down the road. Why shell out all that $$$ right away? I purchased the sleeve with plans to get a messenger bag later on - but I don't need it.

Side Note: Consider picking up an lcd protector for your keyboard. Marware makes one and it runs maybe $10. If you don't, your keys will leave faint impressions on the lcd. Just something to ponder...

Zyote

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2004
Manchester, UK
I have the spire boot that you're talking about. it's good. although i have nothing to compare it to as it's my first one.

I dropped my powerbook from about a meter high in the boot case once, onto some concrete. the powerbook's combo drive died.. but the rest was fine.

still works a year later! :)

i got a spire backpack with it too. very good bag fits everything!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.