Which Powermac G5 is better?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by thecypher, Aug 2, 2010.

1. thecypher macrumors regular

Looking to buy a powermac as my primary desktop. I see some great deals on craigslist. Never owning a powermac before I am not sure which is better. A powermac G5 with Dual 2Ghz processors or powermac G5 with a single dual core 2.3 Ghz processor? :confused:

2. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Stay away from the dual processor models that have liquid cooling, anything AFTER late 2005 should be ok. :apple:

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Of those two - definitely 2.3 DC. Why: it's takes more and faster RAM, better gfx and it's most reliable PM G5 IMO. And upgrades are cheaper than for DP one (at least on my local market).

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Anything AFTER late 2005 is called a Mac Pro. ;)

5. advres Guest

advres

Well you said good deals so what are they? Neither of those machines should cost over $400 unless they are crammed with ram and have upgrades. and that is being generous.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I can vouch for that model too. Best G5 I've ever owned :).

I'd offer no more than $300 for it. Unless they have a crap load of upgrades on it but $300 should be OK for a stock machine or with little upgrades.

7. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

Well they sold Powermacs into '06 so they just didn't do anymore upgrades ;)

8. JaguarGod macrumors 6502

JaguarGod

Definitely the DC 2.3. It is a great computer! It has PCIe and no liquid cooling. Upgrade the video card if you have the money and add a bunch of RAM and it is a very good computer you will use for some years to come.