Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swimyalice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2024
Hi all, please can you advise a printer that is actually compatible with MacBook Pro's and iPhones?
Not sure if it's coincidence but after I updated to Sonoma 14.5 and iOS 17.5.1 my Canon just stopped being detectable at all - so no printing possible.
Also I recently changed from BT wireless router to a Sky one - not sure if that would mess things up - all devices connect to the new router, just not each other!
I today bought a HP all in one new printer and guess what same problem. I can't print anything other than photos from my phone - it is going back!! It doesn't recognise Pages documents either which is a total pain.

I have read a few times that Brother printers work well with Macs/iPhones and thought I'd get some advice before I waste more of my life trying to print anything useful.

Many thanks for your help!! Alice

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Anything that supports Airprint from this list should do the trick for you.

I use a Brother laser printer over wifi that works well from my Mac and iPhone and iPad.

Reactions: gilby101

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
My HP M477fdw is always responsive.

She's wired for LAN on a bespoke network, while simultaneously connected to my Ubiquity WIFI.

She always prints via LAN/AP.

Which HP AIO did you purchase?

Reactions: Weaselboy

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Hi all, please can you advise a printer that is actually compatible with MacBook Pro's and iPhones?
Not sure if it's coincidence but after I updated to Sonoma 14.5 and iOS 17.5.1 my Canon just stopped being detectable at all - so no printing possible.
Also I recently changed from BT wireless router to a Sky one - not sure if that would mess things up - all devices connect to the new router, just not each other!
I today bought a HP all in one new printer and guess what same problem. I can't print anything other than photos from my phone - it is going back!! It doesn't recognise Pages documents either which is a total pain.

I have read a few times that Brother printers work well with Macs/iPhones and thought I'd get some advice before I waste more of my life trying to print anything useful.

Many thanks for your help!! Alice
Which Canon model?
See my device list: MacOS found it right away from any Mac.
;JOOP!

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
@swimyalice I cant help feeling a bit of troubleshooting would be in order rather than replacement. People have their own brand preferences but I believe all the big name printers are compatible with macs and should work.

My own preference is Epson, based on years of good experience, most recently with the excellent but expensive Epson ET-8500. I have no regrets.

If you want advice about which printer to buy you need to supply a bit more info about usage, price range and specs. Eg if photos are important the answer will be different from a mainly documents usage.

swimyalice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2024
Brilliant thanks everyone.
A recommendation on easy setup would be ideal thanks.
I have low to moderate usage for self employment purposes- I don’t need photos or high quality- just reliability and ease of use. It was HP aneco tank wireless all in one 5106.
I still have no idea why my Canon stopped being detectable after doing Mac OS and printer firmware updates I guess it’s a network issue rather than hardware?!

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
They are all pretty easy now. You probably already know this, but beware of the printers that have 'smart ink' as a feature. You get a cruddy little tank to start with, and then a subscription service.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Brilliant thanks everyone.
A recommendation on printer easy setup and ease of printing would be ideal thanks.
I have low to moderate usage for self employment purposes- I don’t need photos or high quality- just reliability and ease of use. It was HP aneco tank wireless all in one 5601.
I still have no idea why my Canon stopped being detectable after doing Mac OS and printer firmware updates I guess it’s a network issue rather than hardware?!

As said earlier most printers are very easy to set up and use with Apple's Airprint drivers, and this is sufficient for most people's purposes. If you are having trouble or want more features you can download the latest drivers from the manufacturers.

If you suspect the router I first would reboot the router, which you may have done, and then try deleting the printer from the network and then try resetting it up again from scratch which you may also have tried.

Last edited:

swimyalice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2024
Sorry I forgot to mention I have a Canon ts5151 atm that won’t connect - I will reboot the router and try again with that to begin with

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
If you are still having issues, I found this info related to 'sky' routers.

1) Log into router (via your web browser)

2) Click the Wifi link in the menu bar across the top

3) Scroll down to the Wifi Access Point section

4) Untick the box marked Synchronise 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Settings

5) Click the Apply button at the bottom of the page

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Sorry I forgot to mention I have a Canon ts5151 atm that won’t connect - I will reboot the router and try again with that to begin with
I forgot to mention that most of my local connections are UTP cabled; also the printer.
You might test a cable connection first, but then your printer must be moved I presume.
;JOOP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.