Which printer did you get with your rebate?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karichelle, Apr 20, 2007.

1. karichelle macrumors member

karichelle

I am currently trying to decide which printer to get with the $100 rebate and it seems everything I look at gets mixed reviews. I am trying to get away from my HP with 5 ml ink cartridges that run out in 100 pages. For $50 over the rebate I can get the HP Photosmart C4180 that takes 11 ml cartridges...my parents have the older model of this one and the ink lasts a long time. For $10 over the rebate I can get the Canon Pixma MP460, which takes 12 ml cartridges and also has high capacity ones available (although I can't find the ml capacity numbers on those). We want an all-in-one (since it's replacing an all-in-one and we want to retain scanning ability) but don't want to spend more than the $50 over the rebate, and would prefer to spend less.

So...which printer did you get with your rebate? Are you happy with it?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I got the Canon PIXMA MP-530. $199, $100 off. It is an awesome all in one. The highest rated I could find behind the MP-830, which only offers card reader slots and maybe one other difference. It even has an auto document feeder which is nice for copying multiple pages or scanning them into a single pdf file. I would stay away from the HPs.

3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I told my friend to get the HP since it didn't matter which one to get. They all are horrible compair to laser.

4. akadmon macrumors 68020

Cannon Pixma MP600. No complaints. Good all around printer/scanner/copier. You probably want to get a specialized photo printer if you plan to print your own photos, but it's much less expensive these days to use an outside service. I use Sony's Imagestation. You can get an IS plugin for iPhoto. Works great.

5. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I got the $100 HP Photosmart C3180, and I've loved it so far. Only complaint was that it printed diagonally for a while.

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

When i got my computers about 2 years ago i got the Canon Pixma MP760. It has been a great printer!!

My parents got an HP adn while it works OK I really don't like it compared to the Canon i have.

7. karichelle thread starter macrumors member

karichelle

Well I ended up getting the Canon Pixma MP460 since a lot of people seem to really like the Canons over the HPs and this one most fit my needs and budget. I have always been an HP purchaser so it was very hard to peel myself away...I just kept thinking of all of the times I've had to drop $15 on the tiny cartridge for the one I have. The new printer's cartridges are nearly 3x the capacity of the one in the HP, and there's a high capacity version that has 6x the capacity. So I'm hoping I'll be happy with it for a good long while and that it will be well worth the $10. ;) (And hopefully I'll get the rebate check...I have bad luck with those things. I think I'll send the forms registered mail.) One thing I do miss is the automatic cartridge alignment on the HPs, but hopefully I won't have to do it as often with the new, larger cartridges. :)

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I think you'll be quite happy with the Canon.

Good luck with the rebate.:)

9. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I got a free HP 6540 printer when I bought my PowerBook 2 years ago. It still sits in my closet, never even opened the box.

My Canon i900D still works great and it's almost 3 years old. I don't think you can go wrong with the Canon. I don't like HP's 'cause the ink cartriges are so expensive and don't last very long.