Which printer to buy from Apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MortalDays, May 29, 2010.

1. MortalDays macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I am planning to take advantage of the "FREE" printer offer (up to $100 rebate) with purchase of MBP and I would like some suggestions in choosing which printer to buy.

Here are some key things I am looking for in the printer...

1) Wi-Fi capable
    2) Price must be UNDER $200
    3) Use great value inks (in other words, a printer that is not an ink hog)

Here is the link to the Apple Store printer page for your convenient.
    http://store.apple.com/us_edu_23199...ccessories/printers?mco=MTM3NjY2MDU&s=priceLH

Thank You for your help in advance! :)

2. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

I've been deliriously happy with the Canon PIXMA MP620 that I got through a similar deal with my MBP, 18 months ago. It looks like the current equivalent is the Canon MP640. I chose it because of good reviews for quality, good support for OS X from Canon, and their printers have large separate ink tanks for each color -- a really nice change from the single tri-color cartridges that HP uses (or used to, at least, don't know if they still do as I haven't looked back). My printer has separate cyan, magenta, yellow, and black cartridges, of fairly large size, and an additional "pigment" black cartridge that's even larger. It also has WiFi, though I've never used it (I connected its ethernet port to my home network's gigabit switch).

The reviews of the Canon MP640 are middling on Apple's site, but more detailed and more positive on Amazon (yeah, I know you'll be buying through Apple, as I did, but the Amazon reviews are helpful).

So the Canon MP640, or perhaps one of the other Canon's is my suggestion :)

3. lcseds macrumors 6502a

+1 on the Canon. I have the MP560 wireless. Flawless. Taught me how much I dislike the HP stuff.

4. MortalDays thread starter macrumors regular

I have been leaning towards choosing Canon as well... I currently have a Hp C6380 printer for my desktop but I don't quite like it. I am going ahead to get the MP560 since it's a $50 cheaper than the MP 640 with a bit higher rating.

Thanks for the input guys! Greatly appreciates it! :D

P.S. The current Hp printers have separate ink cartridges now very similar to the Canons; but Hp makes VERY noisy printers and they do eat a lot of inks.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if you're planning to buy in one of the Apple retail stores, you should call in advance to see what they stock. You may find that you'll have to buy online if you really want a choice of "free" printers

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I like all in one units = AIO's

I used to love canon units.

I also have 2 dead canon AIO's in my house right now and the functions work but the print heads have jammed and they cost more to replace than the units are worth.

Canon is great with the separate ink tanks but they change the ink size every model so I have two sets of useless ink at the house also that can't be returned so that's wasted $$.

I decided to go with a brother 7849w AIO B&W laser and have had it for ~2 years now and its a great unit and cheap to run as most of my printing is B&W anyway...

Its fast, copies, scans, faxes, prints and has a 35 sheet document feeder - just no duplex printing.

For color I bought a HP that uses the H-02 separate in cartridges and those cart's have been around in the same size for +7 years now with no change in site... I believe the color on the canon is better than the HP but I can't justify a broken print head/new color printer every ~2 years anymore...

Hope this helps your decision.